Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working With Time
Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working With Time
Documentarian Thomas Riedelsheimer shows us Andy Goldsworthy as he creates art in natural settings using natural materials such as driftwood, ice, mud, leaves, and stones. Goldsworthy comments on his "earthworks" and occasionally responds to offscreen questions from Riedelsheimer while he painstakingly builds his outdoors sculptures. With some exceptions, such as a winding stone wall that he built in Mountainville, NY, Goldsworthy's creations are intentionally mutable works. We see how several of them fall apart, melt, or drift away due to exposure to the elements; we also see,… More
Directed By
© New Video

"A beautiful, probing art documentary."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"[Goldsworthy's] art is meant to be evanescent, like the nature he reveres. We are privileged to see it documented by the filmmaker's camera."
‑ Richard Nilsen, Arizona Republic
"If the film lets Goldsworthy overexplain what's happening, it also affords ample to time to languidly take in the imagery and let its beauty and simplicity speak for itself."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working with Time is an extraordinarily spiritually literate documentary about one of the world's greatest nature artists."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"When it's at its most self-aware, Rivers and Tides precociously tweaks the pessimist's view of art as an exercise in futility."
‑ Steve Schneider, Orlando Weekly
"Most of Goldsworthy's work is impermanent, but Rivers and Tides captures, permanently, both the art and the artist, showing us a creative, productive life in the process of being well-lived."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Mr. Goldsworthy's work is meant to be photographed -- 'photography is the way that I talk about my sculptures,' he says -- and Mr. Riedelsheimer rises to the occasion."
‑ , Dallas Morning News
"An absorbing portrait of a unique artist's professional and personal communion with nature."
‑ Nick Schager, Lessons of Darkness
"A wondrous look at an artist and his work with lots of joyous surprises."
‑ Mark Robison, Reno Gazette-Journal
"The film doesn't just explain Goldsworthy's vision -- it brings us closer to seeing the world through his eyes."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
"The artistry of Thomas Riedelsheimer's film perfectly compliments Goldsworthy's art."
‑ Eleanor Ringel Gillespie, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"Assumes a meditative, Zen-like quality that sends the viewer floating away, like a leaf."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"His work reminds us of an artist's true focus: a meditative commitment to discovery, creativity, and the enhancement of God's own invention."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"Hypnotic."
‑ Bruce Kirkland, Jam! Movies
"Rivers and Tides is subtle and meditative almost to a fault ... So it's fortunate that the film is relatively short and that its subject -- Andy Goldsworthy, a Scottish sculptor known for working with nature -- is so fascinating."
‑ Jeff Vice, Deseret News, Salt Lake City