Romulus, My Father
Longtime Australian actor Richard Roxburgh makes his directorial debut with this adaptation of Raimond Gaita's acclaimed memoir, adapted for the screen by poet Nick Drake and starring Eric Bana, Franka Potente, and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Despite their hardships in life, Romulus (Bana) and his beautiful wife, Christina (Potente), struggle to raise their son, Raimond (Smit-McPhee), to the best of their abilities. As the deeply moral Romulus struggles to make up for the absence and neglect of the boy's depressive mother, father and son build an unbreakable bond that is only strengthened with… More

"For all its sad moments, Romulus, My Father is a love story between father and son kept aloft by unalloyed admiration."
‑ Carina Chocano, Los Angeles Times
"The darkness of the story is counterbalanced by some of the most radiantly beautiful cinematography I've seen in a long time."
‑ Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
"Builds up an emotional head of steam that draws audiences towards it."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"A beautiful mediation on the struggle of immigrants in Australia and the power of the father-son bond."
‑ Sara Maria Vizcarrondo, Boxoffice Magazine
"For all that it's well made and expertly acted, the film keeps its audience at arm's length, letting viewers observe without offering an emotional portal of entrance."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"Romulus, My Father is a stacked deck determined to make you feel bad, but it rarely makes you feel anything else."
‑ Tim Grierson, L.A. Weekly
"The picture has a tranquil, gentle nature about it that's almost soothing, while offering examples of familial terror Roxburgh processes superbly...there's much to admire."
‑ Brian Orndorf, eFilmCritic.com
"It's fitting perhaps that a film based on Rai Gaita's memoirs should play rather like a string of memories; we don't remember the past in a linear story but as patches, chapters, moments, sometimes merely fractions of their entirety."
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"It's not clear what we're supposed to take away from the film."
‑ Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle
"Helming bow by Oz thesp Richard Roxburgh predictably leaves actors plenty of room, but the literary tone and episodic structure rob the pic of dramatic momentum."
‑ Russell Edwards, Variety
"Gaita clearly had a rough childhood, but while the tragedies of his young life pile up on screen the drama remains frustratingly inert."
‑ Geoff Berkshire, Metromix.com