Sense and Sensibility
The recipient of seven Oscar (R) nominations, this film version of Jane Austen's classic 1811 novel stars Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood. With her mother and sisters, Elinor struggles financially after the death of her father, who bequeathed the Dashwood estate to his oafish son by an earlier marriage. While sorting out the family's affairs, the shy, self-sacrificing Elinor secretly falls for her stepbrother-in-law, Edward Ferrars (Hugh Grant), a sensitive, well-educated bachelor who cannot court her because of his foolhardy youthful engagement to the greedy Lucy Steele (Imogen… More

"Thompson's script manages the neat trick of preserving the necessary niceties and decorum of civilized behavior of the time while still cutting to the dramatic quick."
‑ Todd McCarthy, Variety
"We need no further proof that this material is ageless."
‑ Janet Maslin, New York Times
"A lush and witty telling of Jane Austen's novel."
‑ Ellen MacKay, Common Sense Media
"A little funny, a bit sad, an all-around entertaining."
‑ Michael Dequina, Film Threat
"Though old-fashioned, this version of Austen's popular book is most enjoyable due to Ang Lee's skillfull helming, Emma Thompson's astute screenplay, which deservedly won the Oscar, and excellent ensemble headed by Thompson and Kate Winslet."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"I can't say I remembered this 1995 feature too clearly a couple of days later; but I certainly had a good time as I watched it."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"The sensibility may be a bit off, but there is more than enough sense involved in this mid-Atlantic Austen to make up the difference."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"A stylish, witty and substantial adaptation of Jane Austen's novel."
‑ , Film4
"Unlike most of the usual rolling hills, costume period drama, Merchant-Ivory type, century-old novel movies, Sense and Sensibility succeeds quite handily."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Enduring love, heartbreak, undying passion and bitter betrayal. What more could you ask from Jane Austen, and for that matter, from a film?"
‑ Jeanne Aufmuth, Palo Alto Weekly
"Thompson and Winslet give fine performances ably supported by the rest of the ensemble."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"Sense and Sensibility is an enjoyable film, and yet it left me somehow unsatisfied."
"For once, Thompson turns in a gimmick-free performance, and the rest of the actors range from fine to fabulous."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"A little funny, a bit sad, and all-around entertaining."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"Seeing a world that seems kinder, gentler, nobler and simpler to our own can have its own theraputic value."
‑ Dragan Antulov, rec.arts.movies.reviews