Seul Contre Tous (I Stand Alone) (One Against All)
Seul Contre Tous (I Stand Alone) (One Against All)
Set in France in 1980, a middle-aged ex-con, former butcher tries to salvage a life that has long been on the skids. Plagued by racist, misogynist thoughts and a hair-trigger temper, he looks for a job, tries to borrow money, and attempts to retrieve his daughter from an institution. If you saw this man walking toward you, you'd probably cross the street. Director Gaspar Noe decides, instead, to take a walk inside his brain.

"Vomit."
‑ Gabe Leibowitz, eCinemaCenter.com
"Surprisingly sensitive as well as genuinely shocking."
"For all the static bleakness of his movies, Noe does have a sinful sense of play."
‑ Rob Gonsalves, eFilmCritic.com
"...I Stand Alone will not easily be forgotten - and in this day and age, that's an incredibly rare thing."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"More of a young turk provocation than a measured and mature intercession on rage and despair, but it certainly achieves the unsettling effect Noe intended."
‑ Chuck Rudolph, Matinee Magazine
"The real violence here, the far more deeply disturbing violence, is the violence inside the mind of the protagonist."
‑ Arthur Lazere, culturevulture.net
"Certainly, there are aesthetic pleasures in I Stand Alone, but they don't redeem the depraved heart that beats at the center of the film."
‑ Jeremy Heilman, MovieMartyr.com
"Noe deserves credit for a cinematic vision which is remarkably his own."
‑ Ed Kelleher, Film Journal International