Shrink
What happens when the people we count on to hold us together are barely holding it together themselves? Jonas Pate's Shrink is a striking, fast-paced exposť of the "other" Hollywood, featuring folks living outside their comfort zone and the people who put them there.Henry Carter is a psychiatrist with an A-list clientele, including a once-famous actress, an insecure young writer, and a comically obsessive-compulsive super-agent. Henry is not in a good place, however. He has been asked to take his first pro bono case, a troubled teenage girl from a neighborhood far from the… More

"Man is born unto trouble as the sparks fly upward, and when those sparks emanate from a doobie clutched by Kevin Spacey, a smug critique of the American dream is sure to follow."
‑ Cliff Doerksen, Chicago Reader
"There really was a much better comedy here than melodrama."
‑ Kirk Honeycutt, Hollywood Reporter
"The film, expertly played by actors who look as if they know exactly what they are talking about, is a bit like a voyeur's view of the Hollywood we only hear about in scandal sheets."
‑ , This is London
"Though it dwells on the seamier side of showbiz -- a seedy, pill-popping actor and a slutty casting-couch actress turn up in subplots -- it ultimately buys into the fantasy land it had started out debunking."
‑ Damon Wise, Radio Times
"Throw it in the shark tank with Crash, Grand Canyon, Magnolia, etc."
‑ Kelly Vance, East Bay Express
"I'm not his manager, but I wonder if Kevin Spacey would profit from laying off the sardonic, disaffected, emotionally numb characters for a while. They're criminally easy for him at this point in his career."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"Some of the humor is delicious. And there are a few fine moments of truth and pathos, most of them addressing a subset of grief often ignored on film."
‑ Amy Biancolli, San Francisco Chronicle
"Shrink neatly intertwines the lives of the leading characters in a manner reminiscent of Robert Altman's Short Cuts but without that film's haunting poignancy."
‑ Allan Hunter, Daily Express
"Blackly funny but never as vicious as it clearly wants to be, this rather nihilistic look at modern society keeps us hooked with desperate and lost characters who all have a whiff of soulful humanity."
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall
"Shrink has fine acting, intriguing characters and moments of humor and pathos, but I left the theater feeling a bit cheated."
‑ Emily S. Mendel, culturevulture.net
"The characters are so flatly conceived and their dilemmas so familiar that you wonder if the filmmakers even aspired to be original. Luckily, Kevin Spacey plays Carter with scene-saving grace."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"No one knows why bad things happen to good people. But we do know why bad things happen to good film ideas. They get ruined by poor scripts and indifferent direction."
‑ Michael Posner, Globe and Mail
"A limply-organised multi-story snoozefest from Jonas Pate."
‑ Tim Robey, Daily Telegraph
"Sharp and edgy but with a touching warmth, this satire piques the heart as well as the funny bone."
‑ Angie Errigo, Empire Magazine
"It's an impressively convoluted piece of writing, but it loses it shine when it becomes clear that neither Moffett nor Pate know where they are going with these stories"
‑ Chris Cabin, Filmcritic.com