Small Soldiers

"...this smells like a script slapped together around a toy-product launch."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"I can't think of a Hollywood entertainment I've enjoyed as much all year, and both audiences I saw the movie with seemed delighted as well."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"Works as an adventure film and another fine Joe Dante creature feature..."
"Typical of Dante's films, Small Soldiers is an unbroken string of pop culture in-jokes."
‑ Jeffrey Westhoff, Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)
"The animation is excellent, and the voice cast alone is worth the price of admission..."
‑ Christine James, Boxoffice Magazine
"Though it starts promisingly, the picture ends as a standoff between the affection Dante and company bring to the project and its increasingly frenetic and tiresome emphasis on what special effects can make its little people do."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"Fortunately, it's possible to ignore the morals entirely and simply enjoy the filmmakers' skill at creating carefully contained mayhem in a microcosm."
‑ Scott Rosenberg, Salon.com
"Smart satirical action-comedy about talking action toys."
"It looks like the movie was edited down from a much meaner version, to our loss."
‑ Ron Wells, Film Threat
"G.I. Joe goes ballistic in Dante's smart, witty hybrid of Toy Story and his own Gremlins."
‑ , E! Online
"As with many films in which special effects are the real stars, the technology here commands more respect and interest than the material otherwise warrants."
‑ Janet Maslin, New York Times
"...wildly entertaining..."
‑ Susan Stark, Detroit News
"An infomercial with the schmaltz that passes for emotion in family-aimed films."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"...an entertaining romp..."
‑ Margaret A. McGurk, Cincinnati Enquirer
"Think Gremlins and Toy Story -- but aim lower -- and you've got the idea."
‑ Jack Garner, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle