So Proudly We Hail!
So Proudly We Hail!
Paramount's So Proudly We Hail, like MGM's Cry Havoc, is a tribute to the Red Cross nurses trapped behind enemy lines in the early days of the Pacific war. Claudette Colbert is the self-sacrificing head nurse, struggling to minister to the wounded and to keep her staff (including Paulette Goddard, Veronica Lake and Barbara Britton, all of them giving better than usual performances) from buckling under the pressure. Taking into consideration the regular fans of the film's female cast, the producers thoughtfully include several scenes in which the ladies pursue their romantic lives.… More

"Paramount went out of its way to deglamorize its stars, Claudette Colbert, Veronica Lake and Paulette Goddard as WWII army nurses, but even by the era's standards this well-intentioned tribute was fake, prompting critic James Agee's nasty review."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Creates real tension, and as long as you can live with 1940s-style special effects, this is a reasonably effective war movie from the unique perspective of army nurses."
‑ Brian Webster, Apollo Guide