Somewhere in Time
Christopher Reeve got away from Superman and related costume roles in this dramatic fantasy film, adapted from Richard Matheson's 1960s vintage novel Bid Time Return. A young playwright, Richard Collier (Reeve), is approached by an elderly woman on the occasion of his first triumph in 1972 -- all she says to him is "Come back to me" and leaves him with a watch that contains a picture of a ravishing young woman. Eight years later, he visits the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island and comes upon a photograph of the same woman, whom he discovers was an actress who made an appearance at… More

"A charming, witty, passionate romantic drama about a love transcending space and time, Somewhere In Time is an old-fashioned film in the best sense of that term."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"The movie surrounds its love story with such boring mumbo jumbo about time travel that we finally just don't care."
"Jeannot Szwarc does well in the director's chair, and Jean-Pierre Dorleac (brother of Francoise) deserves special commendation for his costumes. But Seymour is given too little to do, and Reeve does too much."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Director Jeannot Szwarc strains hard for spectacular visual effects, though he's barely able to compose a competent close-up."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"The [Grand H]otel and Mackinac [Island] are spectacularly lovely, but fail to give substance to this ephemeral endeavor."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"Above all, this film captures a romantic part of the imagination that is often left unexplored."
‑ Ryan Cracknell, Apollo Guide
"This must go down as a missed opportunity."
‑ , Time Out
"I understand why this movie has a respectable cult following. I get the appeal. I only wish the movie would have followed through with its promising premise all the way. I didn't dislike it, but was a little letdown."
‑ Austin Kennedy, Film Geek Central
"Assuredly affirms that love is a force to which the laws of the universe cannot apply"
‑ Shane Burridge, rec.arts.movies.reviews