We Are What We Are
We Are What We Are
A middle-aged man dies in the street, leaving his widow and three children destitute. The devastated family is confronted not only with his loss but with a terrible challenge -how to survive. For they are cannibals. They have always existed on a diet of human flesh consumed in bloody ritual ceremonies... and the victims have always been provided by the father. Now that he is gone, who will hunt? Who will lead them? How will they sate their horrific hunger? The task falls to the eldest son, Alfredo, a teenage misfit who seems far from ready to accept the challenge... But without human meat the… More

"An unexpectedly rich exploration of family bonds, blood rituals and the oftentimes zombie-like desire to assume the roles proscribed to each of us, played out with a sharp undertow of political allegory and darkly comic sensibility."
‑ Mark Olsen, Los Angeles Times
"Like zombie auteur George Romero at his best, Grau locks his sights on his social commentary of choice and goes after it with the zeal of a 19-year-old cannibal girl sinking an ax into the skull of her next meal."
‑ Ian Buckwalter, NPR
"A competent barebones transfer of a horror film that deserves to win a wider audience among the Netflix crowd."
‑ Chuck Bowen, Slant Magazine
"Takes a what-if situation and drives it rather unimaginatively into the exact places you might imagine it would go."
‑ Shawn Levy, Oregonian
"We Are What We Are is a superficially provocative movie that tries way too hard to be memorable."
‑ John P. McCarthy, Boxoffice Magazine
"Unfolding in an impoverished neighborhood in Mexico City, this disturbing debut paints social decay with bold, elegant strokes and dizzying camera angles."
‑ Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
"Grau effectively mixes wry, bloody, deadpan gags, family drama, and stomach-churning violence."
‑ Keith Phipps, AV Club
"Grau equates his cannibal family much like Tobe Hooper's Texas clan - as disenfranchised poor people living on the fringes of society struggling with their own familial power structure."
‑ Laura Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Time and again promises answers and payoffs that do not come. Instead of being enigmatic for a reason, the film feels simply half-formed."
‑ Dustin Putman, DustinPutman.com
"Grau never offers a tangible way in, a meaningful reason for the audience to try and probe below the grotesque surface."
‑ Robert Levin, Film School Rejects
"Grau's script is intelligent, and it has something to say about family and social dysfunction. You just might want to skip meat for a few days."
‑ V.A. Musetto, New York Post
"The characters' rapacious tendencies exist in a void, so all we get is numbing, meaningless viscera."
‑ Keith Uhlich, Time Out New York
"If the resulting work ultimately fails to completely marry its disparate goals, it's to Grau's credit that he manages to make this slow-burning horror drama work as well as he does."
‑ Jeremy Heilman, MovieMartyr.com
"You might want to catch We Are What We Are before its inevitable, much-too-glossy remake brightens the walls of American multiplexes."
‑ Elvis Mitchell, Movieline
"A visually striking debut for writer-director Jorge Michel Grau, who proves he has the chops for atmospheric horror even when his pretentious storytelling tendencies undermine the end result."
‑ Geoff Berkshire, Metromix.com