Special
Les Franken is a kind-hearted and soft-spoken man who loves reading comic books. He's the type of guy who most people walk by on the street without even noticing; in essence, he's completely average and virtually invisible. However, everything changes for Les the day he is accepted into an experimental drug study for a new and exciting anti-depressant, Specioprin Hydrochloride. As Les begins to take the drugs an unexpected side effect occurs--he begins to develop special powers: the ability to levitate, to read peoples' minds, and even walk through walls. Faced with the dilemma of… More

"I just thought it was a cool indie film with a great leading performance from an actor we don't usually get to see in a lead."
‑ Ben Lyons, At the Movies
"It may not be perfect, but this under-the-radar indie from Hal Haberman and Jeremy Passmore is smart enough to leave you glad you found it."
‑ Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
"Special offers a unique spin on the superhero template but rarely soars beyond its sly premise."
‑ Christian Toto, What Would Toto Watch?
"Special works as an honest portrait of little people with big dreams even if it remains itself a little movie without a big impact."
‑ Todd Gilchrist, IGN Movies
"Shot for pennies -- a cash limitation that benefits the production's creativity and credibility -- this haunting film keeps shifting the ground under our feet"
‑ Amy Nicholson, I.E. Weekly
"The premise is intriguing, and the film is occasionally amusing, but it feels stuck between a completely satirical farce and an aching drama."
‑ Ben Mankiewicz, At the Movies
"Ultimately it adds little to our understanding of the curious return of the superhero as our paradigmatic pop archetype."
‑ Nathan Lee, New York Times
"The quiet-yet-hip tone of the film reminded me a lot of Roger Dodger, another indie film that let's its script and acting do the talking."
‑ Cole Abaius, Film School Rejects
"The sight of him, bloodied but eternally unbowed, in his ridiculous, homemade superhero costume may indeed be totally iconic for true pulp believers."
‑ David Noh, Film Journal International
"A beautiful metaphor for the desperate need to be important in a world where we rarely make personal connections any more, Special deserves to be seen."
‑ Jenna Busch, UGO
"Rappaport does a yeoman's job in this tonally confused oddity."
‑ Lou Lumenick, New York Post
"Its ambitions are limited -- though at 81 minutes, wisely proportioned -- but its heart is in the right place."
‑ Scott Tobias, AV Club
"Eccentric, depressing thriller won't grab teens' attention."
‑ S. Jhoanna Robledo, Common Sense Media
"Take[s] a page from the cartoonist Bill Watterson, who noted of the tiger protagonist in his great Calvin & Hobbes, 'The nature of [the character's] reality doesn't interest me, and each story goes out of its way to avoid resolving the issue.'"
‑ Keith Uhlich, House Next Door
"What begins as a mildly amusing indie lark descends into a depressingly unappealing exercise in mico-budget filmmaking."
‑ Geoff Berkshire, Metromix.com