Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
In 1977, George Lucas released Star Wars, the ultimate sci-fi popcorn flick-turned-pop-culture myth machine. It quickly became the biggest money-making film of all time and changed the shape of the film industry. After two successful sequels (1980's The Empire Strikes Back and 1983's Return of the Jedi) that extended the story of the first film, Lucas took some time off to produce movies for others, with mixed success. In 1999, Lucas returned to the Star Wars saga with a new approach -- instead of picking up where Return of the Jedi left off, Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace… More

""Star Wars: Episode 1 -- The Phantom Menace" got dismissive reviews in 1999, and it deserves the same today. But you probably know that."
‑ John Anderson, Newsday
"Despite a shaky start and the presence of questionable elements throughout, by the time it arrives at its finale The Phantom Menace has won its place alongside the original Star Wars trilogy."
‑ Keith Phipps, AV Club
"This is just another 3D cash grab by George Lucas. If you didn't like the film before, you won't like the film now."
‑ Will Chadwick, We Got This Covered
"We don't want to remember it's pretty bad. Then we do."
‑ Roger Moore, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
"Darth Maul is back, this time waving his wand in 3D. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" was poorly received by critics when it debuted, so does it fare any better with its new up-conversion? Not really. Paul Chambers, CNN."
‑ Paul Chambers, CNNRadio
"You realize how much humor Harrison Ford brought to things; without him, at times the movie itself feels frozen in Carbonite."
‑ Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger
"There are no romance, no humor, ultimately nobody to care about in this oddly sterile movie."
‑ Paul Clinton (CNN.com), CNN.com
"The Force may not be strong in this episode, but it's there."
‑ John Hanlon, Big Hollywood
"Has a film director ever induced such terrible performances from such great actors? Liam Neeson - wooden, Ewan McGregor - monotone and the Oscar winning Natalie Portman - a speaking alarm clock!"
‑ Brian Henry Martin, UTV
"It's a nifty enough film that's entertaining but not comparable to the original 'Star Wars.'"
‑ Linda Cook, KWQC-TV (Iowa)
"Charmless, sexless, passionless and robot-humoured, it's preposterously uninvolving."
‑ , Time Out
"It does the job just fine. That job, as director George Lucas freely admits, is quite simply to thrill the beating hearts and the inquiring minds of 12-year-old boys."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"Anyone hoping the 3D would make-up for the film's many shortcomings, will probably continue to feel cheated by the first Star Wars prequel."
‑ Ben Kendrick, ScreenRant
"It hardly needs to be said that the 3D conversion here is nothing more than proficient, that it adds nothing and actually takes away some of the clarity and vividness of the film's varied colour palette."
‑ Martin Roberts, Fan The Fire
"It's cinematic junk food, the pernicious effect of which had already set in long before this film came out."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]