Steam
Three women struggle with the joys and sorrows of love in this three-part drama from writer and director Kyle Schickner. Teenaged Elizabeth (Kate Siegel) has been raised in a conservative, deeply religious household, and when she goes away to college she revels in her first taste of freedom. Elizabeth falls into a relationship with Niala (Reshma Shetty), an attractive and free-spirited bisexual, and is introduced to the heady pleasures of sex. However, while Elizabeth is deeply in love with Niala, she soon discovers that Niala puts little stock in exclusive relationships. Laurie (Ally Sheedy)… More

"The clichés are thicker than the Steam in Kyle Schickner's hackneyed dramedy."
‑ Lou Lumenick, New York Post
"Writer-director Kyle Schickner embraces every cliche with gusto. (Behold the cruel intolerance of the patriarchy!)"
‑ Brian Miller, Village Voice
"Convoluted, contrived and bland while failing to be truly endearing, insightful or believable in terms of drama and romance."
‑ Avi Offer, NYC Movie Guru
"So cheesy and so poorly acted that it should never have seen the light of day."
‑ Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
"[Director] Schickner's reach exceeds his grasp. In trying to tell three stories simultaneously in a two-hour running time, he allows for too many developments that seem driven more by plot than character."
‑ Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times
"If these one-dimensional stereotypes were to hit the steam room, they'd go quite limp."
‑ Anna King, Time Out New York
"This is a movie that I can safely recommend to both my sister and my mom, to Republicans and Democrats, to my students in college to my son's elementary school teachers, to my close friends and even total strangers. Not many movies are like that. There's"
‑ Michael Szymanski, International Press Academy