Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot
Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot
Despite his status as a major action star, Sylvester Stallone has made a number of attempts to remodel himself as a comic actor; one of his more infamous efforts in this direction was Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot!. Police detective Joe Bromowski (Sylvester Stallone) has just broken off his relationship with his girlfriend (and fellow police officer) Gwen Harper (JoBeth Williams), so Joe's mother Tutti (Estelle Getty) decides it's time to pay him a visit. Tutti proceeds to make Joe's life miserable by nagging him about his clothes, cleaning his apartment, washing his gun, tagging… More

"Most of the blame for this unimaginative effort can be attributed to the script, but Spottiswoode's flat direction doesn't help."
‑ , Time Out
"As irksome as it is, the concept is actually better for Stallone than the premises of his earlier awful romps."
‑ Rita Kempley, Washington Post
"Sly is well meaning but just misses the mark."
‑ Michael A. Smith, Nolan's Pop Culture Review
"Being shot might be preferable to sitting through this"
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"I can't believe I watched this."
‑ Bob Grimm, Las Vegas Mercury
"This mom is impossible without being funny."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"The doting-mother jokes are all familiar, but rendered with an earnest quality, as though a parent-offspring mediation group is to convene after the film ends."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Stallone & Getty? No magic here."
‑ Victoria Alexander, FilmsInReview.com
"Stop! making lousy comedies or you'll permanently damage your career."
‑ Alex Sandell, Juicy Cerebellum
"If your idea of fun is seeing Sylvester Stallone in a diaper, his latest film should send you into fits of ecstasy."
‑ Chris Hicks, Deseret News, Salt Lake City
"It is moronic beyond comprehension, an exercise in desperation during which even Sylvester Stallone, a repository of self-confidence, seems to be disheartened."
"Gag. Stallone's character should have been shot by overbearing Getty Mom."
‑ Steve Crum, Video-Reviewmaster.com
"Further proof that Sly should stick to action."
‑ Clint Morris, Moviehole
"Sometimes, you just have to sit back and wonder what Stallone was thinking."
‑ Phil Villarreal, Arizona Daily Star
"Spottiswoode directs action well but at about 90 minutes, this film is about 60 minutes longer than its material."
‑ Louis Black, Austin Chronicle