Stories We Tell
In this inspired, genre-twisting new film, Oscar (R)-nominated writer/director Sarah Polley discovers that the truth depends on who's telling it. Polley is both filmmaker and detective as she investigates the secrets kept by a family of storytellers. She playfully interviews and interrogates a cast of characters of varying reliability, eliciting refreshingly candid, yet mostly contradictory, answers to the same questions. As each relates their version of the family mythology, present-day recollections shift into nostalgia-tinged glimpses of their mother, who departed too soon, leaving a… More

"If a personal memoir film by a beautiful, successful young woman from a nice Toronto family sounds to you like it can only be an excuse for self-absorbed navel-gazing, well, you must not have seen a Sarah Polley movie yet."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"Sarah Polley's remarkable Stories We Tell transcends every cliche in this confessional/investigatory genre, and it's one of the year's highlights."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"What "Stories We Tell" has to offer viewers above all else, is the lesson and harsh fact that no matter how closely we hold someone in our hearts, we never really know them one hundred percent."
"Simply the most enthralling, idiosyncratic and entertaining family memoir around."
‑ Rima Sabina Aouf, Concrete Playground
"Deeply affectionate and sometimes very moving."
‑ Anthony Quinn, Independent
"Stories We Tell is one of those movies you watch on a screen and replay in your head for days, moving between its many levels of inquiry and touched, always, by Polley's compassion toward her relatives in particular and people in general."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"Everyone has a different story. I found myself holding my breath listening to them talk. The story twists like a thriller."
‑ Cath Clarke, Time Out
"The Polleys are so charming and down-to-earth, and their pain so tangible, it's an absolute heart-breaker."
‑ Matt Glasby, Flicks.co.nz
"Post-post-modern. Yeah, that's right, the negation of the negation."
‑ Dan Jardine, Cinemania
"Sarah Polley doesn't just understand this slippery sense of personal truth, she opens a throbbing vein of her own history in the stunning new documentary Stories We Tell."
‑ Katherine Monk, Canada.com
"he opposite of a courageous piece of work, Stories We Tell goes out of its way to protect every single person it touches."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"Stories We Tell is not just very moving; it is an exploration of truth and fiction that will stay with you long after repeated viewings."
‑ David Thomson, The New Republic
"What Polley unearths is a well of emotion and one of the most powerful new films I've seen in recent memory."
‑ Corey Atad, Movie Mezzanine
"Sarah Polley digs and digs and discovers some shocking skeletons in her own family's closet."
‑ Kam Williams, Baret News
"When a film like Stories We Tell comes along, you're reminded how powerful and universal even the most intimate and individual lives can be when captured with intelligence and perspective."
‑ Marc Mohan, Oregonian