Stroszek
Can anything be bleaker than the shabby slums of Berlin? Yes, argues director Werner Herzog in Stroszek: try Wisconsin sometime. Bruno S.. stars as an ex-mental patient who dreams of the so-called promised land of America. He aligns himself with like-minded prostitute Eva Mattes and elderly, near-senile Clemens Scheitz. Upon their arrival in Wisconsin, the three misfits find that they're just as trapped in Dairy Country as they'd been in Germany--if not more so. The sour and bitter Stroszek earned worldwide critical and commercial acclaim. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

"Among other things, Mr. Herzog visually dazzles us while he's pulling the rug from under our feet."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"The amazing and brilliant thing about Herzog is the pure poetry he creates in his films. Really, the man is a poet"
‑ Dan Jardine, Cinemania
"No description is necessary beyond the final line in the film: 'We've got a truck on fire. We have a man on the lift we're unable to find the switch to turn the lift off. We can't stop the dancing chicken. Send an electrician.'"
‑ Rumsey Taylor, Not Coming to a Theater Near You
"We watch with a kind of fascination, because Herzog cuts loose from narrative and follows his characters through the relentless logic of their adventure."
"Every time I revisit it, it has a new gift for me."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central
"When the film clicks, it's because Herzog has populated it with mostly non-actors he stumbled across in the midst of filming."
‑ Jon Popick, Planet Sick-Boy
"Stroszek is part moral tale and part absurdist comedy."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"For every cheap shot about rural America (and there are many), there's an answering scene that kicks you in the stomach with its brutal honesty."
‑ Michael W. Phillips, Jr., Goatdog's Movies