Surfer, Dude
Hands on a Hard Body director S.R. Bindler helms this wave-twisting tale of a soul-searching surfer (Matthew McConaughey) experiencing an existential crisis.

"The film looks more like a collection of home movies as opposed to a professional piece of cinema."
‑ Ben Lyons, At the Movies
"You can stick around for the only funny line, which involves a breakfast burrito, but the smart surfer would head for the hills and Willie's goat ranch."
‑ Neely Tucker, Washington Post
"The problem that Surfer, Dude faces is that in its attempt to be a stoner comedy, it forgot to add the comedy elements."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"I wish the finished product was as amusing as the behind-the-scenes pot-fueled merriment I imagine took place during production."
‑ Brian Orndorf, BrianOrndorf.com
"A total wipeout."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"It felt like we were watching a rough cut."
‑ Ben Mankiewicz, At the Movies
"Surfer, Dude is a bizarre throwback. It feels 25-30 years out of date and seems to be meant to be watched on VHS, oops, make that DVD, while stoned."
‑ Louis B. Parks, Houston Chronicle
"A celebration of unrealistic lifestyles, which makes it exactly the wrong film for our times. [Blu-ray]"
‑ Peter Canavese, Groucho Reviews
"The movie is about a surfer dude (sans comma), who is an analog dude trying to fit into a digital world, which is like trying to get a square peg into a Calabi-Yau Manifold, which is to say it probably won't work, and neither does this movie."
‑ Tim Cogshell, Boxoffice Magazine
"I couldn't think of a less appealing advert for the way of the surf."
‑ Kimberley Jones, Austin Chronicle
"[A] hapless, laughless movie."
‑ Dennis Harvey, Variety
"Willie and ganja, yes, yes, the cliches abound."
‑ Mario Tarradell, Dallas Morning News
"The number of artistically successful surfing movies can be counted on one hand, and the majority of those are documentaries."
‑ Edward Havens, FilmJerk.com
"Yes, this is a movie made by stoners for stoners."
‑ Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Daily News
"...limp and rambling picture, which crawls across the screen for about 30 minutes longer than it has any need to."
‑ Kurt Loder, MTV