Sweet Movie
Like his WR: Mysteries of the Organism, Dusan Makavejev's controversial 1974 feature Sweet Movie is firmly rooted in the principles of psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich. In cinematic terms, this means bombarding the audience with an onset of imagery so visceral, disgusting and repellent that it "awakens" the viewer in a Brechtian manner by "short-circuiting" the audience's reactions. Sweet Movie interweaves two narratives. One begins with a trip to the "Miss World Virginity Contest," whose winner, Miss Monde 1984 (Carole Laure) is auctioned off to Mr. Kapital… More

"Neither hard nor softcore. Yugoslav filmmaker Dusan Makavejev's first pic in the West, is provocative but also arbitrary."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"I didn't hate it, although it affected me in bewildering and sometimes unpleasant ways. I didn't find it a success, but I found it an audacious attempt, and it's filled with images impossible to forget."
"Irrational and ineffably moving"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"I'm not convinced of this sometimes dull and inarguably self-indulgent piece of politicarotica's masterpiecitude."
‑ John Thomason, Orlando Weekly
"Sweet Movie certainly has varied political aims, but the message is hindered by graphic practices and sex."
‑ Rumsey Taylor, Not Coming to a Theater Near You
"Potentially one of the most scandalous films ever made -- except that it has been little seen outside France and has not aged well."
‑ , Time Out
"Though much of the content is scandalous, the title is ultimately an accurate one -- the sensibility behind the images is innocent, enthusiastic, and childlike."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"An onslaught of images that are calculated to arouse the viewer to awaken from his slumber."
"Only manages to turn the stomach."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"By turns hilarious and shocking, thanks to the director's penchant for startling imagery and bodily fluids, the passage of time may have deadened their effect but they still have the power to ruffle censorial feathers."
‑ , Film4
"The over-all work remains a courageous example of a personal kind of film making that, to me, leads nowhere."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"[VIDEO ESSAY] To this day, "Sweet Movie" remains a powerfully defiant film deeply rooted in anti-authoritarian motives."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"This is not a film about which you can have mixed feelings. You either love it or loathe it; you are either on its wavelength or you feel assaulted by it. I stand in the latter category."
‑ James Kendrick, Q Network Film Desk
"This once-banned film is a trippy ride."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"A very bizarre arthouse oddity."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, San Francisco Examiner