Symphony Of The Soil
Drawing from ancient knowledge and cutting edge science, Symphony of the Soil is an artistic exploration of the miraculous substance soil. By understanding the elaborate relationships and mutuality between soil, water, the atmosphere, plants and animals, we come to appreciate the complex and dynamic nature of this precious resource. The film also examines our human relationship with soil, the use and misuse of soil in agriculture, deforestation and development, and the latest scientific research on soil's key role in ameliorating the most challenging environmental issues of our time.… More

"It's far from one of those propaganda films that hammer their messages home, though. It does have a point of view, but the intended conclusion ripens for the picking in a roundabout way."
‑ Martin Tsai, Los Angeles Times
"Despite director Deborah Koons Garcia's mighty effort to create a stimulating and visually engaging product, Symphony plays mostly like a taped lecture."
‑ John Oursler, Village Voice
"A variety of well-photographed vistas enhance surprisingly enlightening science doc."
‑ John DeFore, Hollywood Reporter
"A dry lecture on soil science becomes slightly more palatable on shifting to lecturing about chemical-free farming. For truly dedicated organic agronomists only."
‑ Chris Barsanti, Film Journal International
"Unfolding with gentle joy and an unexpected beauty, this ode to the miracle of the Earth's topmost layer gives us a newfound respect for the ground beneath our feet."
‑ Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
"Sets the standard for films about the ills of chemical farming and the need for organic alternatives. Not only is it educational in the deepest sense of the word but artistically captivating."
‑ Louis Proyect, rec.arts.movies.reviews