Take Care of My Cat (Goyangileul butaghae)
Take Care of My Cat (Goyangileul butaghae)
Five girlfriends graduate high school in the Korean port city of Inchon. They set out to pursue their limited opportunities, vowing to continue their friendship into adult life. Hae-joo (Lee Yo-Won) is pretty and ambitious. She gets a job working for a brokerage house and soon moves away to Seoul. Tae-hee (Bae Doo-na) works part-time for her domineering father, and does volunteer work, helping out a romantic young poet with cerebral palsy. Ji-young (Ok Ji-young) lives with her grandparents in a ramshackle hut by the docks. She can't find a job, so she struggles to support herself. The… More

"Jeong's evocative visuals of the urban landscape and her savvy deployment of appliances only deepens the resemblance such stories have to our own lives."
‑ Gene Seymour, Newsday
"A captivating coming-of-age story that may also be the first narrative film to be truly informed by the wireless age."
‑ Paul Malcolm, L.A. Weekly
"Jeong's women often interact via cell phone messaging, and one of the film's primary themes arises in the way contemporary relationships exist through wireless communication."
‑ Doug Cummings, Filmjourney
"The film wasn't preachy, but it was feminism by the book."
"The year 2002 has conjured up more coming-of-age stories than seem possible, but Take Care of My Cat emerges as the very best of them."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"The problems and characters it reveals are universal and involving, and the film itself -- as well its delightful cast -- is so breezy, pretty and gifted, it really won my heart."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"Take Care is nicely performed by a quintet of actresses, but nonetheless it drags during its 112-minute length."
‑ Edward Guthmann, San Francisco Chronicle
"["Take Care of My Cat"] is an honestly nice little film that takes us on an examination of young adult life in urban South Korea through the hearts and minds of the five principals."
‑ Robin Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"The level of maturity displayed by this 33-year-old first-time feature director is astonishing, considering her inexperience and her subject matter."
‑ G. Allen Johnson, Film Threat
"Take Care of My Cat offers a refreshingly different slice of Asian cinema."
‑ Jamie Russell, BBC.com
"Jae-eun Jeong's Take Care of My Cat brings a beguiling freshness to a coming-of-age story with such a buoyant, expressive flow of images that it emerges as another key contribution to the flowering of the South Korean cinema."
‑ Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times
"The episodic film makes valid points about the depersonalization of modern life. But the characters tend to be cliches whose lives are never fully explored."
‑ V.A. Musetto, New York Post
"The film engages with the divergent paths taken, linked by childhood friendship and a mewling kitten, but a third act event is presented so abruptly it confuses the viewer until it rebounds somewhat with a satisfying closure."
‑ Laura Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Jeong sensitively gives her film an underlying sadness as the young women cope with the changes in their lives"
‑ Ed Scheid, Boxoffice Magazine
"In this vivid, emotionally complex ensemble piece, Korean writer-director Jeong Jae-eun portrays this extraordinary turning point in every woman's life."
‑ Maria Garcia, Film Journal International