Taste of Cherry (Ta'm e Guilass)
Taste of Cherry (Ta'm e Guilass)
In this dark, intense, and emotional film, a depressed middle-aged man travels the Iranian countryside searching for someone to bury him after he commits suicide. Eventually, he encounters a Turkish taxidermist who tries to get him to see life's beauty.

"Has a visual style that seems rudimentary but becomes increasingly hypnotic and resonant."
‑ John Hartl, Film.com
"Kiarastomi, like no other filmmaker, has a vision of human scale that is simultaneously epic and precisely minuscule."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"Kiarostami's insistence on putting a frame around his vision keeps the freedom of interpretation--and the responsibility for it--in the hands of the viewer."
‑ Rob Nelson, City Pages, Minneapolis/St. Paul
"The #1 U.S. release of 1998: 'A sublime and patient film...[Kiarostami] handles his profound material flawlessly.'"
‑ Nick Davis, Nick's Flick Picks
"Simplicity often leads to profundity, but A Taste of Cherry (especially the ending) represents lazy cinema that has been overrated by too many."
‑ John A. Nesbit, ToxicUniverse.com
"The film is such a lifeless drone that we experience it only as a movie."
"As the film's design becomes clear to us, a quiet spaciousness begins to inhabit it."
‑ Stanley Kauffmann, The New Republic
"Taste of Cherry might be Kiarostami's most difficult film."
‑ Keith Uhlich, House Next Door
"That Kiarostami keeps us guessing and caring to the very end as to how Mr. Badii will answer these questions, and that he accomplishes this concern on our parts with a startling spareness, is nothing less than Divine."
‑ Brandon Judell, Critics Inc./America Online
"While it's interminably slow and I still haven't quite figured out why they went with the copout ending, I can't say it's not an interesting film."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"Kiarostami is in no rush, but the respect and love he shows for his characters, and the confidence and simplicity of his technique, make Taste of Cherry a satisfying experience."
‑ Edward Guthmann, San Francisco Chronicle
"Taste of Cherry confirmed Kiarostami as the most acclaimed director of Iran's rich film culture..."
‑ Sean Axmaker, Turner Classic Movies Online
"An enduring meditation on living life. A great film."
‑ Jake Euker, F5 (Wichita, KS)
"Que seja aberto a interpretações é um dos pontos positivos de 'Gosto de Cereja'. Que se feche de maneira tão terrível é seu - talvez - único ponto negativo."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"Appropriately languid and uniquely seductive."
‑ Joe Baltake, Sacramento Bee