Te doy mis ojos (Take My Eyes)
Te doy mis ojos (Take My Eyes)
Spanish actress/author/filmmaker Icíar Bollaín writes and directs the family drama Te Doy Mis Ojos (Take My Eyes), co-written by Alicia Luna. Pilar (Laia Marull) leaves her abusive husband, Antonio (Luis Tosar), during the middle of winter in Toledo, Spain. She and her son, Juan (Nicolás Fernández Luna), go to live with her sister Ana (Candela Peña). While supportive, Ana doesn't fully understand Pilar's situation. Pilar's mother, Aurora (Rosa María Sardà), refuses to acknowledge the problem. Antonio is desperate to win back Pilar. He sends her constant presents and even attends… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"A mesmerizing and deeply disturbing film from Spain."
‑ , San Francisco Chronicle
"What makes the movie fascinating is that it doesn't settle for a soap opera resolution to this story, with Pilar as the victim, Antonio as the villain, and evil vanquished. It digs deeper and more painfully."
"Domestic abuse has been portrayed on film before but never with this much complexity."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"The performances from Marull and Tosar ... are superbly nuanced, carefully tweaking your emotions until they ensure that Take My Eyes is one of the most moving films you'll see this year."
‑ , Empire Magazine
"These kinds of films are hard to keep out of your mind."
‑ Chris Cabin, Filmcritic.com
"Approaching potentially unpleasant subject matter with humor, intelligence and deep compassion for its flawed yet infinitely human characters, Take My Eyes is almost certain to rank as one of the year's best films."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"Though deceptively straightforward in its exploration of the causes and effects of domestic abuse, Take My Eyes benefits from the grubby verisimilitude Bollaín brings to his material, which otherwise might have lapsed into movie-of-the-week superficiality"
‑ Nathan Rabin, AV Club
"Every element of the production is well-crafted. Take My Eyes is highly recommended."
‑ Eric Monder, Film Journal International
"We emerge worn but wiser, having stepped, if only momentarily, and secondarily, into the shoes of the brutalized."
‑ Saul Austerlitz, Boxoffice Magazine
"An extraordinarily truthful and piercing drama about spousal abuse."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"This tale of domestic abuse breaks little new stylistic or psychological ground, but it is a searing, well-acted drama that should strike universal chords."
‑ Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter
"Actors Laia Marull and Luis Tosar explore the intricate details of a relationship based on the laws of attraction and repulsion, in which the intellect is repeatedly devastated by primal passion."
‑ Bill White, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"Harrowing, psychologically astute drama about domestic abuse."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide