The American Nightmare - A Celebration of Films from Hollywood's Golden Age of Fright
In the late '60s, the tone of American horror films began to shift in the wake of the startling success of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead -- horror films became gorier, bleaker, and began to subtly reflect the political and social upheaval gripping the country. Through the '70s and '80s, films like Last House on the Left, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Halloween held a distorted mirror up to American culture, reflecting its fear and chaos in the wake of Vietnam and Watergate. The American Nightmare is a documentary that looks at the transgressive horror films of… More

"Although several segments will appeal to horror aficionados, it often feels like a political statement couched in a format that will appeal to the blood and popcorn crowd."
‑ Brian Mckay, eFilmCritic.com
"We've never had American horror as we did in the decade between Night of the Living Dead and Halloween (1978), no doubt because we've never had American history like that."
‑ Rob Nelson, City Pages, Minneapolis/St. Paul