The Attack
Amin Jaafari (Ali Suliman, Paradise Now) is an Israeli Palestinian surgeon, fully assimilated into Tel Aviv society. He has a loving wife, an exemplary career, and many Jewish friends. But his picture perfect life is turned upside down after a suicide bombing in a restaurant leaves nineteen dead, and the Israeli police inform him that his wife, Sihem (Reymonde Amsellem, Lebanon) who also died in the explosion, was responsible. Convinced of her innocence, Amin abandons the relative security of his adopted homeland and enters the Palestinian territories in pursuit of the truth. Once there, he… More

"Screenwriters Ziad Doueiri and Joelle Touma pull quite a few punches here, making the doctor improbably naive about Israeli-Palestinian tensions so that his transformation seems profound."
‑ Ben Sachs, Chicago Reader
"It's set up as a descent into the heart of darkness, but it ends up playing out in pallid shades of grey."
‑ Adam Nayman, Globe and Mail
"A sort of mystery in reverse, 'The Attack' is both a character study and a love story. It's also about terrorism and the driving forces behind catastrophic acts."
‑ Linda Cook, Quad City Times (Davenport, IA)
"It's a sorrowful film, as Amin finds some answers he doesn't want to hear, and discovers that other answers are simply unknowable."
‑ Rob Thomas, Madison Movie
"Certainly not easy to digest, but the internal struggle director/co-writer Ziad Doueiri isolates here is exceptional at times, giving the divisive topic the meditative approach it deserves."
‑ Brian Orndorf, Blu-ray.com
""The Attack" doesn't force us to pick a side. But it does force us to question our outsiders' hope in conciliation."
‑ Andrew Wagaman, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"Imagine a blissful life taken away: Story of an Arab man who's assimilated into Israeli society but finds out that his wife was a suicide bomber. Nothing new here about the conflict, fair portrayal of the sides, thought provoking without solutions."
‑ Leba Hertz, San Francisco Chronicle
"We learn that beneath some urbane and sophisticated Israelis lies a cold and hardened heart. We see Palestinians who live to commit terror without regard to its consequences."
‑ Emily S. Mendel, culturevulture.net
"The result is a quiet power-so quiet in fact that the score is almost non-existent-that never risks sentimentality or exploitation."
‑ Emma Myers, Film Comment Magazine
"Contrary to its blunt title, The Attack takes a nuanced and thoughtful approach"
‑ Robert Denerstein, Movie Habit
"Arouses profound questions about fanaticism, cultural identity, and the essential mystery of other people, even those we think we know best."
‑ Peter Keough, Boston Globe
"[Doueiri] does a fine job of presenting us with two worlds in conflict: modern, prosperous and progressive Tel Aviv, and Nablus, a city of shadows, squalor and paranoia."
‑ Bruce Demara, Toronto Star
"Intimacy, memory and questioned identity all bleed into one dejected protagonist who can't quite do the heavy lifting that the screenplay calls for."
‑ Ty Landis, Movie Mezzanine
"Seen with an open mind, it's an experience that gets under your skin in ways you won't expect."
‑ M. Faust, ArtVoice
"The prevailing mood is somber, but the film is particularly affective at conveying the senselessness of trying to make sense of a conflict that has gained nothing beyond a vast waste of human life."
‑ Al Alexander, The Patriot Ledger