The Avengers
Jeremiah Chechick directed this $60 million adaptation of the whimsical 1961 British TV spy series, imported to the United States five years later for ABC airing (beginning 3/28/66), followed by The New Avengers (CBS, 1978-79). In the feature-length version, secret agent John Steed (Ralph Fiennes) and Emma Peel (Uma Thurman) face a meteorological menace as they track sinister super-villain Sir August de Wynter (Sean Connery), threatening to blitz Britain with blizzards and other extreme weather. Vocal cameo by Patrick Macnee (the original TV Steed). ~ Bhob Stewart, Rovi

"The trouble is, the film's decadence isn't a put-on, it is, simply, depressingly, degeneratively, decadent."
‑ , Time Out
"Running a scant 90 minutes, it often feels as if a couple reels ended up on the cutting-room floor. Connery is absolutely delightful, though."
‑ Chuck O'Leary, FulvueDrive-in.com
"Instead of the ultra-sophisticated John Steed and Emma Peel, we get Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman, who come across more like contestants in a "cutest couple" contest."
‑ Betty Jo Tucker, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"the film plays like some sort of feverish hallucination with no real logic or continuity. ... your only chance this week to see Uma Thurman attacked by a giant teddy bear."
‑ James Sanford, James Sanford on Film
"The movie is so disorganized that I'm not even sure what it was supposed to be about."
‑ David Keyes, Cinemaphile.org
"A horrifyingly bad movie by any measure; but it feels like the graphic proof of a vicious God in comparison to the television show."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy
"Having finally been forced to watch the big screen version of the classic '60s British TV series, I have to confess that I thought it was a lot of well-intended fun."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"To say Fiennes and Thurman don't have the chemistry of Macnee and Rigg isn't enough. They don't have the chemistry of Don Adams and Barbara Feldon. They don't have the chemistry of Boris and Natasha."
‑ Jeffrey Westhoff, Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)
"There's only one thing this movie has going for it--and you guessed it: Thurman in a catsuit."
‑ Widgett Walls, Needcoffee.com
"A disaster."
‑ Maitland McDonagh, Film Journal International
"Thoroughly and consistently awful."
‑ Rob Gonsalves, eFilmCritic.com
"Biting down on the cyanide capsule my editors had provided me, I was bitterly disappointed to find it was a dud. Sweet death, how I have longed for you!"
‑ Martin Scribbs, Low IQ Canadian
"It will suck life force from you."
‑ John Venable, Supercala.com
"DeWynter and his conspirators, seated at a long table, are all wearing fuzzy teddy bear suits, each in a different color of the rainbow. Everyone together now: WHAT THE F**K?"
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"Scenes evaporate before your very eyes. Bad puns roll off the heroes and anti-hero's tongues and lay dead before your feet."
‑ Elias Savada, Nitrate Online