The Child I Never Was
A serial killer dispassionately discusses the nuts and bolts of his grisly avocation, as well as the youthful traumas which helped to mold him into a psychopath, in this disturbing independent drama from Germany, based on a true story. Young Jurgen Bartsch (Sebastian Urzendowsky) was raised in a family where his father (Walter Gontermann) barely acknowledged his existence and his mother (Ulrike Bliefert) displayed an inappropriate degree of affection toward him. When he reached puberty, Bartsch (played as a teenager by Tobias Schenke) was a young man confused and bitter about his growing… More

"It's a surprisingly artful and discrete film."
‑ Jan Stuart, Newsday
"This deeply creepy fictionalized effort is anything but an entertainment, nor can it be considered art."
‑ David Noh, Film Journal International
"...chock full of the sort of dance-around-the-actual-issue dialogue one expects from a pretentious European film."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"In the end Mr. Pieck and his intrepid lead actor piece together a constructive look at a lonely boy's damaged logic and its hideous results."
‑ Ned Martel, New York Times
"By the film's end we feel neither sympathy nor, oddly, total disgust for this most loathsome of killers. We simply begin to understand, and perhaps that's achievement enough."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Pieck and his able cast ... have come up with a captivating treatment which adeptly alternates between grainy black and white post-incident recollections of Jürgen Bartsch ..."
‑ S. James Wegg, JWR
"While the serial-killer sob story subgenre rarely yields a nuanced product, Kai S. Pieck's debut feature finds a plaintive, compelling route to the pathology of 1960s German child-killer Jürgen Bartsch."
‑ Akiva Gottlieb, Village Voice
"Peck gets points for being able to balance our horror and fascination with (and even sympathy for) this colossally screwed-up kid."
‑ , E! Online