The Door in the Floor
The Door in the Floor
Tod Williams served as both director and screenwriter for this drama, adapted from a portion of John Irving's novel A Widow for One Year. Ted and Marion Cole (Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger) are a couple whose marriage is on the verge of collapse. After their two teenage sons died in an auto accident, Marion fell into a deep depression from which she has never fully emerged. Meanwhile, Ted has drifted into repeated infidelity, his most recent mistress being the sexually ravenous Mrs. Vaughn (Mimi Rogers), and neither Ted nor Marion are willing or able to devote their full attention to their… More

"One of the best Irving adaptations, a movie with a sad soul and something to say about that state in us all."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Not one enigmatic person in The Door in the Floor asks to be liked, but you like them anyway."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"Complex, candid, and satisfying "The Door In The Floor" beckons back to the socially provocative American films of the late '60s and early '70s. It is an adult drama with characters you sympathize with in spite of their immoral behavior."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"[Jeff Bridges] struts around like a peacock trapped in a burning house..."
‑ Uri Lessing, www.kcactive.com
"Another entry in the fallout-from-grief genre, but it subscribes too readily to the theory that tragedy automatically equals importance."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, Window to the Movies
"Since when are dullness and realism synonymous?"
‑ Peter Rainer, New York Magazine
"I can't say I minded the movie too much, but I can't say it ever grabbed me, which is how I feel about every other movie adapted from an Irving novel."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"Williams (...) toma decisiones extrañas que no hacen crecer la película en términos dramáticos."
‑ Enrique Buchichio, Uruguay Total
"an alternately amusing and tragic portrait of post-traumatic eccentricity, focusing on two parents who are unable to get over the loss of their two sons after a car accident."
‑ Brian Mckay, eFilmCritic.com
"Despite some powerful scenes and Jeff Bridges' performance, as a whole, Door in the Floor is a flawed movie that lacks much shape or rhythm."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"A fundamentally depressing piece of work -- not because it deals with tragic events and memories but because the characters seem hapless and even stupid, and the writer-director can't, or won't, take control."
‑ David Denby, New Yorker
"More than once during the movie, you'll find yourself thinking 'Who are these people, and why am I sitting here watching them?'"
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"A direção de Tod Williams, além de abrir espaço importante para a força das atuações do elenco, destaca-se por não ter medo do silêncio."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"Jeff Bridges is perfect as the dissipated, amoral, wise, foolish writer."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"The audience may feel like taking a shower, just to wash this creepy movie away"
‑ Prairie Miller, Long Island Press