La Double Vie de Véronique (The Double Life of Veronique)
Two young women lead totally separate lives in France and in Poland, one called Veronique and one called Weronika. They have no blood relation and they and their families have never met, but they are physically identical to one another, and strangely aware of each other's presence. Despite their different backgrounds, the two share the same likes and foibles, and above all both of them have a magnificent sublime voice and an extraordinary musical talent. Unfortunately each girl suffers from the same, barely detectable, cardiac malformation. They also share the same wisdom, inspiring one to… More

"We see through a glass darkly, and often confusingly, but at least we see."
‑ Anthony Lane, New Yorker
"It operates purely on visual juxtapositions, emotion and the presence of lead actress Irene Jacob. In its own terms, it's subtly precious."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"Haunting."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"a film all about subjectivity"
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"Compelling, challenging and irresistibly beautiful, this delicate metaphysical masterpiece only emphasises how much cinema lost through Krzysztof Kieslowski's tragically early death."
‑ David Parkinson, Empire Magazine
"Don't even attempt to resolve that paradox, and The Double Life of Veronique will work on its own poetic terms."
‑ Caryn James, New York Times
"The parts do not quite fit, and anyway this is not a puzzle to be assembled. It is a romance about those moments we all sometimes have when we think we see ourselves at a distance."
"Erotic and mystical, a wondrous search for transcendence."
‑ Dan Jardine, Apollo Guide
"Though pleasing to the eye, it's not everything we would have hoped for from Kieslowski."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"If Double Life is arguably only half as rewarding as some of Kieslowski's other films, then it remains an indelible entry in an outstanding career."
‑ Matthew Leyland, BBC.com
"A mesmerizing poetic work composed in an eerie minor key."
‑ Hal Hinson, Washington Post
"A film that washes over the viewer and invites meditative contemplation about our awareness while swimming the big river of consciousness. [Blu-ray]"
‑ Peter Canavese, Groucho Reviews
"If Kieslowski's overarching metaphors about Weronika/Veronique seem strained, Jacob's sensuous and delicately nuanced performance will double your pleasure."
‑ Thomas Delapa, Boulder Weekly
"Kieslowski's most lyrical and metaphsical film, with a haunting performance from Irene Jacob, is also one of his most bizarre and enigmatic works--by design."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Satisfies as a study of spiritual unrest."