The Father of My Children (Le pere de mes enfants)
The Father of My Children (Le pere de mes enfants)
A family is forced to learn a painful lesson about the man of the house in this drama from director Mia Hansen-Løve. Grégoire Canvel (Louis-Do de Lencquesaing) is an independent film producer who runs a well-respected production company, Moon Films. For Grégoire, to work is to live, and while he loves his wife, Sylvia (Chiara Caselli), and their three daughters, Clemence (Alice de Lencquesaing), Valentine (Alice Gautier), and Billie (Manelle Driss), during the week he's practically a stranger to them. Grégoire makes a point of spending each weekend with his family at their cottage in the… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"The film is achieved with a rare tenderness and grace by 29-year-old French actress-filmmaker Mia Hanson-Love."
‑ Stephen Cole, Globe and Mail
"A subtle work on an exceedingly difficult subject."
‑ Amy Biancolli, Houston Chronicle
"Draws one in both empathetically and suspensefully."
‑ Nick Schager, Lessons of Darkness
"It's a very intelligent film this, and one I think which is not just revealing about film-making but has insights into the dilemmas of many others who see the businesses -- or indeed family farms -- they have built up over a lifetime going under."
‑ Julie Rigg, MovieTime, ABC Radio National
"Inception celebrates the manufactured reality, Father of My Children the true one."
‑ Craig Mathieson, sbs.com.au
"While the movie is far from perfect, those potential missteps are, in the end, part of what makes The Father of My Children so beautiful."
‑ David Roark, Dallas Morning News
"The Father of My Children is exceptional drama. Compelling and unforced, it shows sensitivity and evenhandedness in approaching a difficult subject."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"A heartbreaking fable about life, legacy and the way men define themselves through their work."
‑ Liz Braun, Jam! Movies
"There's a lot of intelligence and humanity in the script and it follows its own path. [Hansen-Løve's] direction shows rare confidence and poise, a willingness to build characters slowly, with a natural flow of time."
‑ Paul Byrnes, Sydney Morning Herald
"What makes it a wonderful film is that for those of us inside this crazy dream factory, and we're only on the edges, it depicts the relentless nature of the beast, the roller-coaster ride, the unstoppable nature of a film in production."
‑ Margaret Pomeranz, At the Movies (Australia)
"A modest drama about a suicide and its aftermath that never quite moves an audience as it should."
‑ Kirk Honeycutt, Hollywood Reporter
"It is a film about children and their parents, and not knowing where fate, or life, can take you."
‑ Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer
"It's quiet, unshowy and devastating."
‑ Norman Wilner, NOW Toronto
"French drama Father of My Children addresses an extremely confronting subject with both an unblinking gaze and an open mind."
‑ Leigh Paatsch, Herald Sun (Australia)
"The subtle, tender sadness of the film trumps any of its small scripting problems and certainly marks out not only the film's young cast members but also the director as ones to watch."
‑ Beth Wilson, Trespass