The Fault In Our Stars
The Fault In Our Stars
Hazel and Gus are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them - and us - on an unforgettable journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous, given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, based upon the number-one bestselling novel by John Green, explores the funny, thrilling and tragic business of being alive and in love.(C) Fox

"While it may not conform to one's real-life expectations it certainly hews tightly to teen-flick conventions."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Globe and Mail
"What in the name of God is wrong with me that I didn't cry once -- I, who just the day before wept through the entirety of my child's thoroughly upbeat school play."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"A positive and inspirational experience, far removed from cloying sentimentality. Hollywood might have lost touch with several genres in recent years, but on this evidence the weepie is back."
‑ Graham Young, Birmingham Mail
"Speaks truth to cancer, only to wade into the puddles of tears it jerks, then bathe there by hyper-eulogizing itself; it even reduces the Anne Frank house to a metaphor for Hazel's struggle and foreplay for the star-crossed lovers' loss of virginity. Ugh."
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"Though at times you feel like you're being told when to cry, that doesn't mean you won't start dutifully blubbing on cue."
‑ Paul Whittington, Irish Independent
"The film dodges most of the pitfalls of clichéd cancer dramas with humor and natural warmth."
‑ Bruce Diones, New Yorker
"The Fault in Our Stars is a heart-breaker for sure, but it's also a sweet, romantic film full of sudden warmth and humor. It gets everything right about being young and in love for the first time."
‑ Connie Ogle, Miami Herald
"Devotees of the book may have some concerns, but for those willing to take this movie on its own terms, as what reviewers used to call a 'four-hanky weeper,' it's something of a wow."
‑ John Beifuss, Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
"The Fault in Our Stars is exceptionally high-quality mainstream entertainment, a genuine work of art that exists in the often maligned sub-genre of teen girl-centric melodrama."
‑ Scott Mendelson, Forbes
"Moments of pain go unplumbed."
‑ Stuart Klawans, The Nation
"An emotional climax arrives every 15 minutes or so, and every affecting moment is underscored with a soppy light-rock song."
‑ Ben Sachs, Chicago Reader
"There's a moment when the breeziness powering the story goes away and medical reality takes over, and Elgort's performance goes to a surprising new place."
‑ Wesley Morris, Grantland
"You should probably not see "The Fault in Our Stars" with anyone you're trying to impress. You'll either end up a puffy, sniffling mess of tears, or you'll finish the movie dry-eyed and convince that person you're a psychopath."
‑ Kimber Myers, The Playlist
"There are some cutesy tendencies that might pander to a certain demographic, but this sensitively rendered adaptation should expand the enthusiastic young fan base for both Green and his book."
‑ Todd Jorgenson, Cinemalogue.com
"Based on the beloved novel by John Green, this film is so squarely slanted toward teen girls that it is likely to annoy everyone else."
‑ Rich Cline, Contactmusic.com