The Fog of War - Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara
Former Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara is the sole focus of documentarian Errol Morris' The Fog of War, a film that not only analyzes McNamara's controversial decisions during the first half of the Vietnam War, but also his childhood upbringing, his education at Berkeley and Harvard, his involvement in World War II, and his later years as president of the World Bank. Culling footage from almost 20 hours of interviews with the Secretary, Morris details key moments from McNamara's career, including the 1945 bombing of Tokyo, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and President… More

"For those of my generation, the true resonance in the film may be in the constant juxtaposition between the then and the now of the McNamara life."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Washington Post
"A provocative case study in power and the powerful."
‑ Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post
"It's difficult to imagine anyone from George W. Bush's administration coming forth with such awe-inspiring, agenda-free candor, contrition, insight and misgivings about America's foreign policy. A documentary about morals, respect and blind luck."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"Even handed, but never to a fault, this critical and at times even touching examination of Robert McNamara's life and role in the Cold War is as brilliant as I hoped it would be."
‑ Jason Gorber, Film Scouts
"A fascinating look into the mind of one of 20th century America's most controversial military figures"
‑ Nick Schager, Lessons of Darkness
"Mesmerizing documentary."
‑ Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"Fascinating documentary about Robert S. McNamara."
‑ Eric Harrison, Houston Chronicle
"A great and disturbing film."
‑ Thomas Peyser, Style Weekly (Richmond, VA)
"[It] raise[s] complex questions about man's role in that most awful and inherent of human characteristics: our penchant for war."
‑ Eric Melin, Lawrence.com
"McNamara makes a very human monster, a flawed man who regrets that "in order to do good you have to be willing to do evil.""
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"What's genuinely suspenseful about the movie is its journey into the heart and mind of McNamara."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"An insanely timely cautionary tale about American omniscience and the fallible belief that rationality will always win out."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"This is the most culturally significant documentary imaginable and should be mandatory for repeated viewing by all public officials the world over."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"When it comes to war, Robert S. McNamara wants us to know that our history with war has taught us plenty. Not that we've learned much from it."
‑ Christopher Smith, Bangor Daily News (Maine)
"a deeply felt testament of a man struggling to wring meaning and redemption out of history's hard, unyielding surfaces"
‑ Jay Antani, Los Angeles Alternative