The Gleaners and I
Both a diary and a kind of extended essay on poverty, thrift and the curious place of scavenging in French history and culture--a documentary capturing the world of French gleaners who collect and make use of what others have discarded.

"[A] lyrically ramshackle essay about people, including Varda herself, who don't fit into society's cubbyholes."
‑ Peter Rainer, New York Magazine/Vulture
"For the most part, Varda's home movie is a simple and sweet thing."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"Varda is, herself, a gleaner. Her eyes are her tools, and her camera is her basket. Insatiably curious, she seeks, finds, redeems. ... When we pay attention, attention pays."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"strings together observations about psychotherapy, freeway traffic and the origins of cinema while opening our eyes to a subculture few of us ever think about."
‑ James Sanford, Kalamazoo Gazette
"The Gleaners and I shows Varda in full flower, ever reaping what she has sown."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"The Gleaners and I is a film well worth finding."
‑ Chris Vognar, Dallas Morning News
"Varda's subject matter is surprisingly rich, but it's her own energetic, curious nature that gives the film its snap."
‑ Edward Guthmann, San Francisco Chronicle
"A tribute to all the people who think outside the box."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"Visually brilliant inside look at the world of food production."
‑ Michael E. Grost, Classic Film and Television
"However rudimentary her thesis on the subject is, Varda is able to explore her interest, pass it on to the viewer and still give them something to learn about."
‑ Greg Muskewitz, eFilmCritic.com
"Charged with the pleasure of discovery."
‑ Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times
"In its frames, we see [Varda's] empathy, skill, curiosity, wit, poetry and passion for life: everything she has gleaned from a lifetime of love and movies."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"A moving humanist/social conscience documentary."
"A pleasure to watch - part documentary, part personal essay, part unguided tour. It's a chance to understand ourselves differently by seeing the things we choose not to use."
‑ Joshua Tanzer, Offoffoff
"A bewitching documentary that mischievously fuses the past with the present, the rich with the poor, the idle with workaholic"
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile