The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
Who is Don Ready? Salesman? Lover? Song Stylist? Semi-professional dolphin trainer? Ready is all of the above--except for a dolphin trainer. When he's asked to help save an ailing local car dealership from bankruptcy, Ready and his ragtag crew descend on the town of Temecula like a pack of coyotes on a basket full of burgers. Selling, drinking, selling and going to strip clubs is their stock and trade. And they do it well. What Don doesn't expect is to fall in love and find his soul (cue heartfelt piano).

"A throng of outrageous supporting characters do little to salvage this stalled effort."
‑ David Jenkins, Time Out
"This was funny in the beginning, no question, but then it turned into I thought a sort of a very stale comedy."
‑ Ben Mankiewicz, At the Movies
"The Goods isn't trying for much but what it is trying for it more or less succeeds at. That doesn't make it a particularly good movie; in fact it pretty much ensures that it can't be one."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"While it is brash and absurd and funny in fits and starts, it also seems to lose its nerve as it goes on."
‑ William Goss, Cinematical
"Like a dodgy old motor, this smutty comedy about car salesmen roars with life to begin with but putters to a stop all too soon."
‑ David Edwards, Daily Mirror [UK]
"It's a grab bag of comic ideas, but some of the gags are impressively perverse."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"I laughed more than I thought I would (though of course hope springs eternal at the movies) and if I ran the Hollywood zoo, I'd give these particular screenwriters another assignment."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard is an entirely throwaway experience that doesn't offer anything vaguely witty or clever. Look elsewhere to satisfy your comedy needs."
‑ Sam Bathe, Fan The Fire
"The number of remotely chucklesome jokes in Neal Brennan's comedy is way too low, and the stuff in between them is grimy and depressing."
‑ Edward Porter, Sunday Times (UK)
"Sometimes this kind of comedy just goes too far into rubbishness to make it back."
‑ Nev Pierce, Empire Magazine
"I definitely laughed, just not enough to fully recommend it."
‑ Ben Lyons, At the Movies
"The oh-so-out-there mentality earns some chuckles, but that, along with Piven's preening, gets very trying. A hard sell is still a hard sell."
‑ Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News
"...an agreeable piece of work..."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"Vulgar, pointless, unfunny comedy."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"These jokes are fired out like one of those ball-throwing machines used for baseball practice - sometimes they hit and they hurt, sometimes they miss, and sometimes they meet the bat."
‑ Holly Grigg-Spall, Film4