The Guitar
A doomed woman discovers her creative spirit during a final fling with life in this independent drama. Melody Wilder (Saffron Burrows) is already having a bad day when she visits her doctor about a troubling lump in her throat -- her boyfriend has left her, and she's lost her job. However, this news pales in comparison to what her doctor (Janeane Garofalo) has to say: the lump is an inoperable cancer, and Melody has only a short time to live. Throwing caution to the wind, Melody rents a huge, luxurious apartment and furnishes it in high style, putting her purchases on a handful of credit… More

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

"The Guitar is a lark, at best, but when Burrows' healing indulgence extends to taking on lovers of both sexes, its goofiness acquires a certain hedonistic charm."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"Some new directors often opt for minimalism in the hope that less is more. This doesn't work for Amy Redford (Robert's daughter), who transitions from actress to filmmaker with The Guitar."
‑ Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News
"We've probably all wondered what we'd do if given a few short months to live and the premise of The Guitar takes one self indulgent option"
‑ Andrew L. Urban, Urban Cinefile
"I was seduced by Melody's story. Sucked in, enjoying Amy Redford's film despite myself."
‑ Marcy Dermansky, About.com
"Saffron Burrows is commanding as a distraught woman who finds a novel way to cope with tragedy, but the movie constantly subverts realistic detail with the fantastic in ways that are not dramatically satisfying."
‑ Patrick Z. McGavin, Screen International
"[A] bizarre art-house equiva lent of The Bucket Lisy."
‑ Lou Lumenick, New York Post
"The movie has more clichéd rebirths in mind, and you'll resent where it goes."
‑ Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
"A strong, kind-hearted start to a hopefully active career [for director Amy Redford]."
‑ Sara Maria Vizcarrondo, Boxoffice Magazine
"After spending 45 of the movie's 95 minutes in an orgy of consumerism, The Guitar suddenly speeds up its tempo and begins bombarding us with plot developments."
‑ Mark Peikert, New York Press
"To be brutally honest, there are many other things I would rather do with my final days than sit through this clichéd mess all over again."
‑ Zack Haddad, Film Threat
"That the movie is easy on the eyes (Melody's fetching silhouette against those sunset river views) doesn't make it any less bogus."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"Written by Amos Poe and directed with moxie by Amy Redford, it's the ultimate movie about optimism."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"An interesting premise is weakened by directorial callowness, tonal uncertainty and an unengaging central performance."
‑ David Noh, Film Journal International
"Without its weirdo visual flourishes, The Guitar would be completely reprehensible."
‑ Ed Gonzalez, Slant Magazine