The Holiday
Nancy Meyers' romantic comedy Holiday stars Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet as two women who exchange houses in order to get a new lease on life. After each suffers her fair share of romantic disappointments, Englishwoman Iris (Winslet) and L.A. woman Amanda (Diaz) meet on-line at a website devoted to helping people exchange houses for vacations. Each agrees to spend the Christmas holiday at the other's home. While each suffers from a minor case of culture shock, both women also end up becoming involved with a man. Iris makes the acquaintance of an upbeat everyman played by Jack Black,… More

"A leisurely feelgood rom-com."
‑ Anna Smith, Time Out
"...The surprises would be surprises only if this is, like, your fourth movie ever."
‑ Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun-Times
"A reminder to all producers: alluding to iconic romantic comedies in a bid for legitimacy can be a dangerous game, even when you have appealing stars."
‑ Brooke Holgerson, Boston Phoenix
"My reaction to The Holiday was no different from my reaction to Meyers' other pieces. It's cute enough, the atmosphere is sufficiently romantic comedy-like, but somehow, for some reason, I just don't bond with it."
‑ Heather Huntington, ReelzChannel.com
"About as far removed from burning your bra as you can get. Too much of this chick flick feels like work, with the unfortunately long running time sandbagging it with a kind of cinematic jet lag."
‑ Christopher Smith, Bangor Daily News (Maine)
"The characters pace and putter around in the story like animals building their nests, and by the time they finally settle down with their mates, we have a grudging affection for them."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"Like her near namesake, Meyers has quite a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A."
‑ Scott Foundas, Village Voice
"Patronizing antimatter"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"As a voracious consumer of chick media (I like alien shoot 'em ups too!), I tell you that the story arc is extremely surprising & delightful, and that you fellas can feel safe watching this as well."
‑ Karina Montgomery, Cinerina
"a warm, charming, extremely clever and often hilarious romantic comedy that will be a sure-fire date movie for any guy looking to please his significant other"
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"...The story goes on at untoward length."
‑ Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
"...It's the women who come out the worst in Meyers's sexist worldview, where men are hopeless and women are helpless."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"Dialogue hits the floor like frozen eggnog in writer/director Nancy Meyers' protracted exercise in cliché-mining."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"No amount of ironic gift wrapping can conceal the triteness within, in this double-plotted festive chick flick that is too long by half, and too cloyingly sweet to be healthy."
‑ Anton Bitel, Film4
"Meyers gives it an honest shot, but she can't distract from a paint-by-numbers plot just by having us watch it dry."
‑ Michelle Orange, Reeler