The House I Live In
Why We Fight director Eugene Jarecki shifts his focus from the military industrial complex to the War on Drugs in this documentary exploring the risks that prohibition poses to freedom, and the tragedy of addicts being treated as criminals. In the four decades since the War on Drugs commenced, over 45 millions of addicts have been arrested - and for each one jailed, another family is destroyed. Meanwhile, the prisons in America are growing overcrowded with non-violent criminals, and illegal drugs are still being sold in schoolyards. By examining just where it all went wrong, Jarecki reveals… More

"The movie's indictment would be more persuasive had Jarecki recognized that his audience likely already knows most of what he recaps, and can handle the odd scrap of ambiguity."
‑ Claude Peck, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"The House I Live In is a work of journalism, not propaganda: Jarecki has done his research and leaves it to you to decide what to make of it."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"Americans have long celebrated justice and freedom, but director Eugene Jarecki's The House I Live In forces viewers to look closely at political policies that have turned the nation into the No. 1 jailer in the world."
‑ Forrest Hartman, Reno Gazette-Journal
"Our search for easy answers to the evils of drugs is an addiction we must wean ourselves from."
‑ Dan Lybarger, KC Active
"It is the insiders, the prisoners themselves who are most cinema-eloquent, along with a surprising Iowa U.S District Court judge and an Oklahoma corrections center security chief."
‑ Donald J. Levit, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
""The House I Live In" leaves you shaking your head in deadened wonder at the waste of it all."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"If [it] takes a while to focus, it eventually becomes the conversation starter the subject desperately needs."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"Whatever your politics, you will find things to astonish and flabbergast and enrage you in what is perhaps the most cool-headed examination of America's relationship to illegal drugs ever."
‑ MaryAnn Johanson, Flick Filosopher
"A compelling investigation into the roots of America's war on drugs, which has massively increased prison numbers whilst failing to reduce drug abuse."
‑ , Scotsman
"Jarecki's arguments, presented as a very personal response to the war on drugs, are unashamedly those of a left-wing libertarian. They are also enormously compelling and extremely convincing."
‑ Miles Fielder, The List
"Tells a complex story with troubling ease."
‑ Dave Calhoun, Time Out
"Jarecki takes a highly original approach to create a compelling, thought-provoking look at a highly relevant and controversial topic."
‑ G. Allen Johnson, San Francisco Chronicle
"Somehow, Jarecki pulls it off, circling his subject and revisiting key themes as he constructs the convincing argument that, while the drug war may affect only a certain segment of the population, it's everyone's problem."
‑ T'Cha Dunlevy, Montreal Gazette
"This fine film makes surprising connections and offers provocative arguments."
‑ Chris Hewitt (St. Paul), St. Paul Pioneer Press
"Suffused with a righteous anger that Jarecki methodically turns up to full boil, The House I Live In is an emotionally shattering work, but also one with a hefty, legitimate intellectual punching power."
‑ Brent Simon, Shared Darkness