The Kid & I
Bill Williams is a down-and-out actor who is unexpectedly hired to write a sequel a la "True Lies," the action film that made him famous more than a decade ago. When Bill learns that his co-star is Aaron Roman, a rich kid with no acting experience, what appeared to be the chance for a major comeback turns into a series of outlandish complications. As the duo embarks on a journey of outrageous misadventures, the unlikely pair discovers that it takes more courage to face real life challenges than it does fighting bad guys on the big screen. Although Aaron may be inexperienced in… More

"The mesmerizingly awful The Kid & I is a historic first: a comedy about the making of a vanity production that is itself a vanity production."
‑ Lou Lumenick, New York Post
"Tom Arnold does have talent, but some self-defeating streak keeps him from using it."
‑ Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
"Tom Arnold wrote and stars in this heart-on-sleeve "comedy" that will go down in cinema history as one of the most awkward additions ever made to the genre."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"Imagine if Tom Arnold had written "Adaptation." No, really."
‑ Luke Y. Thompson, New Times
"Either the most inept vanity production ever made or the most deadpan satirical prank ever pulled."
‑ Maitland McDonagh, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"It's terribly uneven, it's far too corny and it's really not all that great, but it's so strange and so compelling that you have to see it."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"What sets The Kid & I apart from most Hollywood comedies is its restraint, on the part of Arnold, both as writer and actor, as well as Spheeris. Comedy actually grows out of character and situation."
‑ Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times
"Works most poignantly as a testament to a father's love and an unapologetic celebration of Hollywood's m.o."
‑ Doris Toumarkine, Film Journal International
"With the exception of some weird-on-purpose flicks such as those by Jim Jarmusch and David Lynch, "The Kid & I" is arguably the weirdest movie I've seen since 1987."
‑ Linda Cook, Quad City Times (Davenport, IA)
"Manages to be cloying, insulting, and self-serving in equally dire measure."
‑ Timothy Knight, Reel.com
"It would be nice to say that The Kid & I delivers a heartwarming message of perseverance while showing a lighter side of Arnold and spotlighting a new star. Unfortunately, it would not be true."
‑ Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger
"This wan attempt at inspirational comedy doesn't bother to look closely at anything."
‑ Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"Has straight-to-DVD written all over it."
‑ Matt Pais, Metromix.com
"It isn't perfect but it is so oddly sincere that I found myself growing a sort of affection for it even as all common sense was telling me to think otherwise."
‑ Peter Sobczynski, eFilmCritic.com
"Newcomer Gores is endearing onscreen, but the film built around him is a mess: an amateurish script, a treacly score, barely there direction by Penelope Spheeris and a pointless parade of celebrity cameos."
‑ , E! Online