The King and I
The King and I, Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein's 1951 Broadway musical hit, was based on Margaret Landon's book Anna and the King of Siam. Since 20th-Century-Fox had made a film version of the Landon book in 1946, that studio had first dibs on the movie adaptation of The King and I. Deborah Kerr plays English widow Anna Leonowens, who comes to Siam in the 1860s to tutor the many wives and children of the country's progressive King (Yul Brynner, recreating his Broadway role-and winning an Oscar in the process). The culture clash between Anna and the King is but one aspect of… More

"Typically overproduced."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"If you don't...see [The King and I], believe us, you'll be missing a grand and moving thing."
‑ Bosley Crowther, New York Times
"A boisterous, big-costumed classic musical."
‑ Heather Boerner, Common Sense Media
"The popular pick for the best Rodgers and Hammerstein musical is probably The Sound of Music, but I'm throwing in for The King and I."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"Classic performances, classic score, the best Rodgers & Hammerstein screen adaptation."
‑ Carol Cling, Las Vegas Review-Journal
"All the ingredients that made Rodgers & Hammerstein's The King and I a memorable stage experience have been faithfully transferred to the screen."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"Starring Yul Brynner in the part he seemed born to play, this is a fine if slightly stage-bound example of the 1950s Hollywood musical spectacular."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Walter Lang's screen version is too theatrical but the score by Rodgers and Hammerstein is glorious and the acting by Yul Brynner in his most iconic role and Deborah Kerr is superb, overcoming Marnie Nixon's colorless voice."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"The King and I (1956) is the popular and elaborate musical and story of the tutoring of the stubborn, King of Siam's wives and children by widowed English school teacher Anna Leonowens in 1862."
‑ Tim Dirks, Tim Dirks' The Greatest Films
"Lovely filming of a classic Rodgers and Hammerstein show"
‑ James Sanford, Kalamazoo Gazette
"Over-long but visually spectacular."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"A beautiful film with a score I didn't much care for."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"A chronicle of colonialism that poses itself as an easy-to-dismiss artifact, yet reveals itself to be an enduring statement about why people can't get along."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central
"Tuneful, mesmerizing (Brynner) R&H musical"
‑ Steve Crum, Kansas City Kansan
"Sumptuously outfitted and well acted, if a little silly and a tad impolitic."
‑ Nick Davis, Nick's Flick Picks