The Long, Long Trailer
At the height of their TV fame, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were contracted by MGM to make two theatrical films. The first of these, The Long, Long Trailer, stars Lucy and Desi as an upwardly mobile couple who decide to buy a trailer so they can live together while his job takes him around the country. Thanks to their naivete in such matters, they end up with a huge, bulky RV that costs five times what they planned. Their "seeing America" trip turns out to be a slapstick disaster, topped by Lucy's foolish decision to hide a heavy rock collection in the trailer; as Desi tries to… More

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

"Strange, surreal film, notable for Minnelli's brilliant use of color and visual style."
‑ Michael E. Grost, Classic Film and Television
"...not even Minnelli and Berman could do much with a predictably inane script."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"A disaster for anyone but "I Love Lucy" fans."
"One of Minnelli's few broad comedies, more of a collection of anecdotes than a coherent tale, about the wacky misadventures of a middle-class couple (Lucille Ball and Dazi Arnaz) during a long cross-country trek."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"The ordinarily graceful Minnelli tries his best to guide this material and he finally gets his momentum in a climactic sequence... But until then, it's a largely unfunny TV sitcom romp."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"doesn't earn a place on my DVD shelf next to my I Love Lucy collection"
‑ Don Willmott, Filmcritic.com