The Nativity Story

"Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with preaching to the converted -- secular Hollywood does it all the time. But I confess I wish the movie had some of the passion of The Passion of the Christ."
‑ Tom Charity, CNN.com
"I have to hand it to Hardwicke: I was a lot less bored by The Nativity Story than I feared I'd be."
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"The Bible on the big screen: New take on old tale."
‑ Jane Boursaw, Common Sense Media
"If nothing else, it is refreshing to see a Christmas movie that actually has something to do with Christmas!"
‑ Felix Gonzalez Jr., DVD Review
"Catherine Hardwicke (Lords of Dogtown, Thirteen) may seem like an unusual choice for a Biblical epic, but she proves an inspired choice, choosing to focus on the authenticity of the story, primarily through Mary."
‑ Matthew Turner, ViewLondon
"We just haven't had too many films that concentrate on this story."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"It's not exactly the dullest story ever told, but it's certainly not the greatest."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"Frankly, anyone could have made this movie in the particular way it's presented."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, Window to the Movies
"A perfectly good cast is undone by a mish-mash of thick accents that are at moments impenetrable."
‑ Frank Lovece, Film Journal International
"may well be the greatest story ever told, but it leaves a lot to be desired on a purely cinematic level."
‑ Sean McBride, Sean the Movie Guy
"...a filmed Sunday-school lesson that favors a dry, by-the-Book approach over even a suggestion of dramatic interpretation. It's more Christmas pageant than movie."
‑ Keith Phipps, AV Club
"The Nativity Story may prove just idiosyncratic enough to alienate the doctrinaire believers but not quite weird enough to appeal to revisionists, cultists or regular holiday moviegoers."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"A series of tasteful, stultifying reverent postcards, shorn of life, awe, mystery"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"In essence, the film is exactly what one comes to expect in the telling of the story. Hardwicke brings absolutely nothing to the table, except for a colorless palette. The actors struggle to invest what are essentially plaster saints with some verve, but"
‑ Ted Murphy, Murphy's Movie Reviews
"El Nacimiento es el equivalente cinematográfico de una tarjeta postal de Navidad, o de un inocente pesebre viviente. Es tan prolija como fría e impersonal."
‑ Enrique Buchichio, Uruguay Total