The Nature of Existence
What are the answers to the great questions of life, and who is certain they know the truth others have been struggling to find for centuries? Filmmaker Roger Nygard, after examining the lives of Star Trek fans and used car salesmen, profiles a number of thinkers both great and ordinary in this documentary. For The Nature of Existence, Nygard prepared a questionnaire with 85 weighty philosophical questions, ranging from "Why do we exist?" and "Do we have free will?" to "Who created God?" and "Is there a moral yardstick that applies to all cultures?"… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"After 90 minutes of scattershot quips, I felt like I was wearing spiritual beer goggles."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"Inquiring into the reasons human beings exist, filmmaker Roger Nygard uncovers this stunner: Various people have different opinions."
‑ Kyle Smith, New York Post
"A journey that prizes intellectual search over simplistic solutions, and if you come to it with a similar attitude you should enjoy ambling along."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"A fascinating film that shows us just how crazy we are for even trying to answer the big questions."
‑ James Plath, Movie Metropolis
"An enlightening, provocative and captivating spiritual journey well worth taking."
‑ Avi Offer, NYC Movie Guru
"Freewheeling and funny."
‑ Cary Darling, Dallas Morning News
"As a conversation starter ... it's an affable appetizer."
‑ Michael Ordoņa, Los Angeles Times
"Certainly there are filmgoers who enjoy this kind of noncommittal metaphysical quest. I am not one of them. It makes me think that the filmmaker is more interested in showing us his vacation slides instead of sharing any real insights."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"The problem is that Nygard is not a showman (like Moore) and the journey quickly loses its appeal."
‑ Steve Ramos, Boxoffice Magazine
"Engaging but ironically lightweight, The Nature of Existence offers differing views about The Meaning of Life."
‑ Eric Monder, Film Journal International
"While it will strike some as smug and others as sincere, pic certainly has a feel-good tone and playful attitude."
‑ John Anderson, Variety
"His film is no more profound than its forerunners, but it's quicker, funnier and less pretentious."
‑ Mike Hale, New York Times
"It's overly, apologetically polite in its efforts to cover all the bases."
‑ David Cornelius, Popcornworld
"A smart, engrossing, and entertaining crash course in the study of What It All Means."
‑ Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat
"Without putting his own impression on his story, Nygard has made The Nature of Existence both a broad, far-reaching exploration of the concept of existence and an affirmation of the individual possession of belief."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight