The New World
Terrence Malick, the universally acclaimed American filmmaker responsible for the key 1970s features Badlands and Days of Heaven, returns for a rare directorial outing with the sweeping period piece The New World -- an epic dramatization of Pocahontas' relationships with John Smith and John Rolfe. Malick's story opens at the dawn of the 17th century, just prior to the colonization of the United States -- when the North American population consisted of an interconnected series of native tribes. In April 1607, three maritime vessels approach the unfamiliar continent, with 103 sailors on… More

"These whispered ruminations are beautifully written, but whose voice are we hearing?"
‑ David Ansen, Newsweek
"The New World is stately almost to the point of being static and thus has trouble finding a central story around which to arrange itself; it's not quite the thin dead line, but it's close."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Washington Post
"Great works, when they next-to-never come, are always accompanied by giggles."
‑ Nick Pinkerton, Stop Smiling
"By now the familiar elements have begun to resemble a misguided perfume commercial. Call it Terrence Malick's Obsession."
‑ Josh Larsen, LarsenOnFilm
""The New World" is a movie that promises to leave its viewers with a bigger headache than you'd get contemplating the current state of global affairs."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"The New World isn't Terrence Malick's best, but it's guiding him in the right direction."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"He [Malick] swoons for his own well-honed image as a painter of woodland idylls, a man who leaves no sway of wheat or ripple of water unmet by his fatherly gaze."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"Malick manages to do something I never thought possible, and that's make America seem like a New World to begin with."
‑ Christopher Runyon, Movie Mezzanine
"Not Malick's best film, but more than up to his usual high standards, The New World is a powerful and emotional romantic drama, and an essential story in the history of America."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"If I think I'm mostly going to keep coming back to [the 172-minute] cut (and I do hope, someday soon, for a Mr. Arkadin-like 3-cuts comparative DVD set) it's because it feels most fully realized."
‑ Keith Uhlich, House Next Door
"The New World laps over its audience like water on a deserted beach, moving so quietly that you almost don't notice that it's enveloped you."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"Through elliptical and seemingly oblique methods, he [Malick] forges moments of staggering emotional power."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"It is about the dreams we have when we are awake but in a state of absolute peace and perfect self-reflection."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy
"Makes you view the world with virgin eyes again"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"...the romance of the three humans is secondary to the romance of the New World itself and all it symbolizes."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis