The Object of My Affection
The Object of My Affection
Nicholas Hytner (The Crucible) directed this Wendy Wasserstein screenplay, adapted from Stephen McCauley's novel, about the romantic mismatch of a gay man and a young pregnant woman. When literary agent Sidney Miller (Alan Alda) and his wife Constance (Allison Janney) have a dinner party, Constance's social-worker stepsister Nina Borowski (Jennifer Aniston) attends without her lawyer boyfriend Vince McBride (John Pankow). Also present are gay schoolteacher George Hanson (Paul Rudd) and his lover, Dr. Robert Joley (Tim Daly). George learns from Nina that he's being dumped by Robert,… More

"The plot's hokey contrivances and the theatrical shtick tend to prevail over the sporadic moments of insight and emotional truth."
‑ Todd McCarthy, Variety
"This comedy is content to enjoy the beguiling antics of Ms. Aniston, who is as skillful here as she is miscast, and to let its colorful minor characters give it a sitcom spin."
‑ Janet Maslin, New York Times
"The Object of My Affection is one of the best romantic comedies I've seen in ages."
‑ Robin Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Wendy Wasserstein's script endows the story with equal measures emotional pain and romantic buoyancy..."
‑ Margaret A. McGurk, Cincinnati Enquirer
"When confronted with a film as relentlessly PC and romantically feel-good as The Object of My Affection, you eventually have to succumb."
‑ Peter Keough, Boston Phoenix
"It never persuades you it belongs on the big screen."
‑ , Time Out
"There is a movie fighting to get out of The Object of My Affection, and I like it better than the movie it's trapped in."
"At the core... is the college dorm debate question: Can a man and a woman live and love together without sex? The answers ... in a typical dorm room are ... as interesting..."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"The forgettable sum does not equal the formidable parts."
‑ Kristan Ginther, Boxoffice Magazine
"Portrait of a determined young woman's attempt to create her own unique extended family."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"The best romantic comedy so far this year."
‑ Ruthe Stein, San Francisco Chronicle
"Paul Rudd is charming, and some of the scenes are intelligently written and played, but at a recent screening people on all sides of me were squirming in discomfort."
‑ David Denby, New York Magazine/Vulture
"This is a tale of difficult choices and wistful decisions, of trying to choose between two types of love when only one is possible. It is touching without being sappy, and beautifully photographed."
‑ John R. McEwen, Film Quips Online
"Consegue se sobressair em meio a uma enxurrada de romancezinhos 'água-com-açúcar' que têm sido produzidos nos últimos tempos."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"Suggests a Nacho Cerda exploitation piece scored by the world's most optimistic organ grinder."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central