The Original Kings of Comedy
The Original Kings of Comedy
A selection of concert highlights from two nights of the long-running "Original Kings of Comedy" tour, featuring the talents of Steve Harvey, Cedric the Entertainer, D.L. Hughley and Bernie Mac, and including behind-the-scenes footage.

"Footage shot from over their shoulders reveals a sea of faces out of which individuals quickly emerge, as the comedians -- especially emcee Harvey -- enthrall and provoke audience members."
‑ Lisa Alspector, Chicago Reader
"Seeing the film in a crowded theater is a lot more fun than watching it on TV would be, and the crappy, grainy look does create a sort of you-are-there immediacy."
‑ Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com
"Some segments are marred by poor sound quality. Others produce monster laughs."
‑ Mark Halverson, Sacramento News & Review
"It is Bernie Mac who is the true King of Comedy here, following in the footsteps of Pryor and Murphy before him as he crosses from church-raised testifying, to furious black cultural theorizing, to barely controlled comedic genius."
‑ Susannah Breslin, Film Threat
"Are they funny? Most of the time. But the humor, passing itself off as insightful social commentary, rarely rises above simple stereotypes."
‑ Eugene Novikov, Film Blather
"A consistently hilarious assemblage of highlights from the hit concert tour of the same name."
‑ Scott Foundas, Variety
"This often hilarious quartet use the foul-ups, aggravations and muddles of everyday life to produce more laughs than most movies you'll see this year."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"Easily the funniest movie of the summer."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"I laughed myself into a headache. I laughed so hard I was hoping they'd get bad for awhile so I could relax a minute, wipe the tears out of my eyes."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"Watching Spike Lee's concert movie is the next best thing to having been in the house when the Kings of Comedy caused a laugh riot in Charlotte, N. C. last February."
‑ Susan Tavernetti, Palo Alto Weekly
"This is comedy with a sense of showmanship, and Lee cuts shrewdly to the rhythm of the jokes."
‑ , Time Out
"Time and again, we're transported by the outpouring of liberating humor from four men who know the territory."
‑ Jay Carr, Boston Globe
"The film offers more than just yuks, however. As in Lee's best work, the film intelligently discusses race and race relations, though this time through the guise of humor."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Apesar de praticamente se limitar a registrar o show dos quatro comediantes, sem jamais se preocupar com o lado humano destes, o filme se destaca graças ao humor cáustico e sem barreiras de seus protagonistas."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"It is during these intimate scenes where Lee's style is more clearly evident, using settings such as a basketball court or a poker game, along with inventive camera angles and editing to give a spontanaeous feel."
‑ John R. McEwen, Film Quips Online