The Oscar Nominated Short Films: Animation
The Oscar Nominated Short Films: Animation
Collective screening of the Academy Award nominated short films from the Animation category for 2011. The nominated Animated Shorts are: DAY & NIGHT; USA; Oscar Nominee: Teddy Newton. When Day, a sunny fellow, encounters Night, a stranger of distinctly darker moods, sparks fly! Day and Night are frightened and suspicious of each other at first, and quickly get off on the wrong foot. But as they discover each other's unique qualities - and come to realize that each of them offers a different window onto the same world - the friendship helps both to gain a new perspective. (6 min.) THE… More
Starring
Directed By
© Magnolia and Shorts International

"There are no handy publicity campaigns to introduce you to the five live-action shorts and five animated shorts nominated for Oscars, but I can help."
‑ Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
"Its spirit is so easygoing that its visual complexity and emotional nuances may take awhile to register."
‑ A.O. Scott, New York Times
"In the past, we saw a lot of nominated animated films that seemed to be trying to out-Pixar Pixar, mixing gorgeous 3D animation and frenetic physical comedy. But this year's batch is more adventurous, harder to pigeonhole."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
""The Lost Thing" is my fave."
‑ Fr. Chris Carpenter, Movie Dearest
"This impressive showcase of cinematic treasures all have in common the amazing way that a complete story arc comes to fruition in a brief amount of time. The clear favorite to win this category is "Day & Night"."
‑ Keith Cohen, Entertainment Spectrum
"Gone are the days of "selected shorts" on movie bills, but thank the gods of cinema for this annual release of Oscar nominees."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"There's no unifying theme here, except that there's surely a short here for every taste."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"It's hard to believe that these are the ten best shorts of the year but it's a case of a good program that is only disappointing if one hopes that the Oscar nominees would be great instead of just good."
‑ Brian Tallerico, HollywoodChicago.com
"A varied lot, in both subject and quality. But they're an interesting bunch, well worth taking a lot at."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
""The Lost Thing's" unusual steampunk aesthetic brings to life a first-person narrative that really resonates in its 15 minutes."
‑ Alison Gang, San Diego Union-Tribune
"They help dispel our often fatigued prejudices about that format as a haven for all things digital, 3-D, snarky and kid-marketed."
‑ Robert Abele, Los Angeles Times
"Writer-directors Andrew Ruhemann and Shaun Tan elevate a familiar storyline into something exceptionally moving that touches on friendship, loneliness, and the tragedy of how getting older numbs us to the wonders of the small oddities around us."
‑ Tim Grierson, Village Voice
"This year's selection of five animated shorts is the strongest I've seen in a while, with all five contributing something special to the bunch, and no weak links."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Those of us who began our romance with the movies when double features were preceded by cartoons will revel in some of the outstanding animated shorts nominated this year by the Motion Picture Academy."
‑ Maria Garcia, Film Journal International
"Like any compilation, it's a mixed bag, but this year's films are stronger than those of the past several years."
‑ Chris Hewitt (St. Paul), St. Paul Pioneer Press