The Prisoner Or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair
The Prisoner Or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair
The Prisoner Or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair represents a follow-up to husband-and-wife filmmaking team Michael Tucker and Petra Epperlein's critically-worshipped, defiantly nonpartisan documentary Gunner Palace (2004), on the day-to-day of American soldiers stationed on the Iraqi front. In that earlier picture, Tucker and Epperlein stumble across Yunis Khatayer Abbas, a Middle Eastern man who merely confesses, "I am a journalist," before American soldiers drag him off to incarceration. The Tuckers reconnected with Abbas at a later point, and disinter his backstory in this… More
Directed By
© Red Envelope Entertainment

"... a chillingly pitch-black comedy of errors ..."
‑ Mark Olsen, Los Angeles Times
"It's an angry story, but also a strangely hopeful one, in the sense of new life sprouting through a battlefield. Above all, it's personal and specific, and that is news we can use."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"The American military comes across as bungling and ineffective as protectors. If people thought we didn't know what we were doing in Iraq before, this is yet more evidence of our incompetence."
‑ Beverly Berning, culturevulture.net
"The film makes clear its point about the profound failures of justice caused by aggressive attempts at arrests and detention."
‑ Marrit Ingman, Austin Chronicle
"Provides ample proof of the old adage that truth is stranger than fiction."
‑ Jeffrey Wachs, Reel.com
"[Abbas'] story demands to be heard, though Tucker and Epperlein lack the material for a full feature and pad this out to 73 minutes with some incongruously playful elements."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"The Prisoner doesn't try to put the entire war in context or offer broad solutions. It's a focused slice of the war, covering an issue that you've probably wondered about but haven't seen in many other places."
‑ Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle
"I would have preferred a clearer narrative that was easier to understand, without all the comic-book gimmicks. Despite those faults, the documentary is worth seeing."
‑ Jette Kernion, Cinematical
"Turns out that every country, every civilization, has its good eggs as well as its bad ones. What The Prisoner clearly shows us is that this Administration has no interest in learning the difference between the two."
‑ Merle Bertrand, Film Threat
"A follow-up to the acclaimed Gunner Place, this docu, about one innocent Iraqui's detention and then shipment to Abu Ghraib, exhibits a restrained approach that allows its righteous indignation to grow slowly without resorting to manipulative tactics."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Abbas could tell his interrogators nothing they wanted to know, but everything we needed to know about their tactics."
‑ Bill Stamets, Chicago Sun-Times
"A modestly mounted, but curiously poignant little documentary which somehow -- quietly, devastatingly -- shows and tells you more than you may perhaps want to know about the dehumanization implicit in the mighty, blighted Iraqi adventure."
‑ Richard Schickel, TIME Magazine
"The filmmaker's methodology backfires by undercutting the credibility of the testimony presented and overshadowing any actual miscarriage of justice."
‑ John P. McCarthy, Boxoffice Magazine
"The banality and muted despair of this endured horror is laced with the all too chilling familiarity of racist US revenge culture, like police brutality, exported to an imperialist conquest war zone and spreading like a planetary social contagion."
‑ Prairie Miller, WBAI Web Radio