The Pursuit of Happyness
The Pursuit of Happyness
The rousing, true-life story of a single dad who went from living on the streets to owning his own brokerage firm is brought to the big screen by superstar Will Smith, appearing for the first time opposite his real-life son Jaden Smith. Set in early-'80s San Francisco, the film charts the hard times and eventual comeback of Chris Gardner, a suddenly single salesman who has custody of his son, but finds that providing for the two of them is a challenge in the increasingly unstable economic climate. He struggles to work his way from unpaid intern at Dean Witter to something more substantial,… More

"Smith hits all the right notes - understated, engaging, inspirational - even if his young son threatens to charm him off the screen."
‑ Mark Salisbury, Time Out
"Some people will see The Pursuit of Happyness as a glorification of capitalism, but the movie is much less about 'getting' than it is about 'not having.'"
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"The Pursuit of Happyness is a very Hollywood film, which could be good or bad depending on your point of view. It tries very hard to be profound and inspirational, but ultimately it's not up to the task."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"Smith turns in a career-capping performance, and director Gabriele Muccino ingeniously turns the material inward, cautioning us all to be grateful for what we have, for we're closer to the edge than we think."
‑ Tom Meek, Boston Phoenix
"Few films so convincingly portray the titanic struggle that some people face day in and day out just to survive."
‑ Brandon Fibbs, BrandonFibbs.com
"This is Smith as you've never seen him -- an unsure, struggling, frustrated guy trying to hold together his family and failing."
‑ Bill Muller, Arizona Republic
"The Pursuit of Happyness can't imagine anything worse than being poor. Except maybe being surrounded by poor people."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"Counterfeit emotion and submerged racism"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Will Smith is getting all the awards buzz, but it's his real-life son, Jaden, who transcends all expectations in Happyness."
‑ Brian Marder, Hollywood.com
"This is Will Smith's movie from start to finish and he carries it wonderfully."
‑ Joe Lozito, Big Picture Big Sound
"As cynical as I am, I have to admit I was completely won over by Smith's sincere and deeply effective work as a guy who was knocked down again and again, but refused to stay on the canvas."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Ultimately, the real Chris Gardner emerges as an inspirational American success story -- and Will Smith emerges as a fine and nuanced actor."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"Sap, sentiment, and hokey plot devices bog down an otherwise down to earth story."
"Even the glossiest of surfaces can't extinguish the genuine emotions running beneath them here."
‑ Rob Humanick, Projection Booth
"[A] calculatedly emotional, sterilizingly cleancut drama."
‑ Jim Slotek, Jam! Movies