The Sixth Sense
In this chilling psychological thriller, eight-year-old Cole Sear is haunted by a dark secret: He is visited by ghosts. A helpless and reluctant channel, Cole is terrified by threatening visitations from those with unresolved problems who appear from the shadows. Confused by his paranormal powers, Cole is too young to understand his purpose and too terrified to tell anyone about his torment, except child psychologist Dr. Malcolm Crowe. As Dr. Crowe tries to uncover the ominous truth about Cole's supernatural abilities, the consequence for client and therapist is a jolt that awakens them… More

"You leave slightly asquirm. You know it will linger. It becomes a clammy, chilly movie building toward a revelation that you cannot predict. As I say: I cannot tell you. You'd hate me if I did. I can only say, don't look now, but look sometime."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Washington Post
"Willis turns in a measured and understated performance."
‑ Paul Clinton (CNN.com), CNN.com
"Beyond these startling apparitions, there's a surplus of mumbo-jumbo in here -- and some ludicrously false notes."
‑ Bill Gallo, New Times
"M Night Shyamalan has fashioned a modern classic here, a chilly, intelligent, emotional ghost story that relies not on the obligatory gore and knifeplay for its many shocks but on glimpses of an afterlife that's anything but angels and harps."
‑ Andrew Collins, Radio Times
"Like The Exorcist, this isn't really a gore-spattered shocker, more a slow-burning, subconscious-botherer."
‑ , Total Film
"So transparent is Osment as an actor, and so rare, that the pain on his face stabs you in the heart."
‑ Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer
"A delicate, emotionally attentive, but very scary ghost story."
‑ David Denby, New Yorker
"It takes you on an intriguing, unsettling journey."
‑ Margaret Pomeranz, sbs.com.au
"Another "could-have-been" film, another almost successful compromise, another intelligent flick done in by its misplaced and worn-out star."
‑ Dayana Stetco, Metro Times (Detroit, MI)
"Osment is excellent, as is Bruce Willis, as a melancholy child psychologist scarred by his failure with a similarly haunted youth, and Toni Collette, as the boy's fiercely loyal mother."
‑ Kevin Jeys, Sacramento News & Review
"Osment's pinched, old-young face suggests an ancient's insight without an ancient's defenses -- a sensitivity so exquisitely morbid that you worry more for his emotional than physical well-being."
‑ David Edelstein, Slate
"I was not only surprised by the film's final twist, I wasn't even looking for one. I just thought I was watching a bad movie. The end doesn't quite redeem it, but it makes you think about what you've seen. That's a saving grace of some sort."
‑ Jack Mathews, New York Daily News
"Dr Crowe gradually comes to believe that little Cole can indeed commune with the unquiet souls, who are reaching out to him for help. And, yes, the scenes where Cole does so can be very creepy indeed."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"If ultimately there is less to Sense than meets the eye, director-writer M. Night Shyamalan (Wide Awake) at least avoids gory cheap thrills in favor of muted chills. He bears watching."
‑ Leah Rozen, People Magazine
"Constantly on the brink of explanation, The Sixth Sense in fact derives most of its fascination from explaining next to nothing."
‑ Philip Strick, Sight and Sound