The Skin I Live In
Ever since his wife was burned in a car crash, Dr. Robert Ledgard, an eminent plastic surgeon, has been interested in creating a new skin with which he could have saved her. After twelve years, he manages to cultivate a skin that is a real shield against every assault. In addition to years of study and experimentation, Robert needed a further three things: no scruples, an accomplice and a human guinea pig. Scruples were never a problem. Marilia, the woman who looked after him from the day he was born, is his most faithful accomplice. And as for the human guinea pig...-- (C) Sony

"Few filmmakers are more assured or alluring, even when we fear we're following a monster."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"Despite its scalpel-like precision, pic falls short of its titular promise, never quite getting under the skin as it should."
‑ Justin Chang, Variety
"Almodóvar has a body of work as rigorously personal as any out there, and, even with its flaws, he wears this latest Skin rather well."
‑ José Teodoro, Film Comment Magazine
"Pedro Almodovar's The Skin I Live In, a terrific, twisty thriller that is one of the filmmaker's best and one of the year's best films."
‑ Will Chadwick, We Got This Covered
"I was agonising over every twist and turn. I was shuffling in my seat. I was feeling physical reactions to the scenes and quite simply I was impressed with Banderas' strikingly nuanced performance under the incredible direction of Almodóvar."
‑ Blake Howard, 2UE That Movie Show
"There are few filmmakers -- David Lynch comes to mind, Woody Allen -- who have a completely unique way of imprinting a film. Nobody but Pedro Almodóvar could have made The Skin I Live In. And that's high compliment."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"Only someone as talented as Almodóvar could have mixed such elements without blowing up an entire movie."
‑ Kirk Honeycutt, Hollywood Reporter
"Despite the typically invigorating sense of line and framing, The Skin I Live In withholds the director's customary satisfactions and affirmations. The result is a saga of obsession that, in its saturnine undertone, maintains a hard-to-enjoy integrity."
‑ Nicolas Rapold, Film Comment Magazine
"It's as disquieting as it is unsatisfying, a slog through gender issues, surgery and violence - sexual and otherwise."
‑ Roger Moore, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
"Leave it to Pedro Almodovar to figure a uniquely twisted way to unsettle."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"These are questions one is left with -- and that's not an entirely satisfying feeling. Yet it's hard not to be drawn into the story, and even more, into the gorgeous storytelling."
‑ Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post
"Pedro Almodóvar wows with the meticulous visual design of his films, but sometimes his narrative architecture is every bit as dazzling."
‑ Chris Vognar, Dallas Morning News
"This is a lush, deeply pleasurable film to experience on a sensory level; Almodovar couldn't produce a boring frame if he left the lens cap on."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
"A movie puzzle that confounds and then unnerves with an impact as shocking as any of the most infamous of cinema last-reel shockers"
‑ Matt Looker, TheShiznit.co.uk
"With a deliberately preposterous storyline involving burning bodies, evil brothers, rape, suicide, revenge, sexual identity and medical procedure, this is darkly comic arthouse soap - with a tinge of horror - and definitely an acquired taste."
‑ Simon Weaving, Screenwize