The Smurfs 2

"Yes, this is the point in the summer when I outsource my critical judgment to my kids."
‑ Christopher Orr, The Atlantic
"It would be too much to say that there's a good movie somewhere inside Smurfs 2 looking to get out. But it wouldn't be too much to say that sometimes, the movie we do have tries harder than we might expect."
‑ Bilge Ebiri, New York Magazine/Vulture
"Yay! The Smurfs are back - bigger, bolder and bluer than ever. It's fun fun fun, a more-than-worthy, hyper-energetic sequel to the fabulous first film...It's all wonderful fantasy nonsense, delivered fast and with plenty of self-consciously cheap laughs."
‑ Jim Schembri, 3AW
"The early-elementary-school-age kids in the auditorium will certainly shut up for ninety minutes, but just about anyone outside of that demographic will find attention wandering."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"I took my inner-5-year-old to see The Smurfs 2 and what happened? The little weasel sneaked out of the theater and went to watch something else."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
""The Smurfs 2" probably isn't any worse than you might expect. On the other hand, it's almost certainly not any better."
‑ Bruce Ingram, Chicago Sun-Times
"The trouble with this stunted sequel is that the doughy, blobby-hatted Smurfs are mostly window dressing for an abrasive slapstick bash built around a tiresome kidnap plot ..."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"IT'S a rarity, but it's nice when a sequel learns from the mistakes of its predecessor."
‑ Matt Neal, The Standard
"This follow-up is driven solely by financial motives, and available in 3D, of course."
‑ Todd Jorgenson, Cinemalogue.com
"In this obnoxiously peppy 3D sequel, "smurf" is an all-purpose prefix that the anaemic script uses when words fail. Which is often."
‑ Guy Lodge, This is London
"Not so much of a film as it is a collection of images and sounds that bludgeon you."
‑ Laremy Legel, Film.com
"Only adults with 'Smurf-holm syndrome' could love this film."
‑ Philip Brown, Globe and Mail
"While the 2011 Smurfs movie set in New York was filled with blue-tinged charm and cute-dom, the follow-up in Paris lacks the sweet innocence from the last time around, resulting in a yarn that is overblown and a bit of a yawn"
‑ Louise Keller, Urban Cinefile
"Smurftastically stupid. Here's a sequel to a movie we didn't care about the first time around. It's enough to make you blue."
‑ Pete Hammond, Movieline
"'Smurfs 2' joins many other live action/animation mixes as an average outing for the smaller fry."
‑ Linda Cook, Quad City Times (Davenport, IA)