The Town Is Quiet (La Ville est tranquille)
The Town Is Quiet (La Ville est tranquille)
Set within a working class milieu, the paths of many Marseille locals converge on a journey through the lives and daily struggles of a group of its inhabitants. At the center is Michele, a hardworking fishmonger, who supports an entire family. After putting in backbreaking hours, she must return home to a sullen husband and a daughter fighting a debilitating drug abuse. Michele commits to raising her baby granddaughter while her daughter battles heroin addiction. Reduced to selling her own body to pay for her daughter1s fixes, Michele meets Paul, a lonely former dockworker who now drives a… More

"For all of the apparent naturalness on screen, Guediguian's grim vision comes off as far too calculated."
‑ Mark Caro, Chicago Tribune
"Always, one gets the sense that this film is coming from some place real, and terrible."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"Too trying and unwieldy to keep my attention."
"Director Robert Guédiguian, who wrote the script with Jean-Louis Milesi and co-produced his film, delivers a story that's particularly French but also sadly universal."
‑ Lawrence Toppman, Charlotte Observer
"More successful as sociological argument than as cinematic narrative."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"It's a strong viewing experience but definitely worth the effort."
‑ Philip Wuntch, Dallas Morning News
"...the film's characters are familiar, real-life people, whose sadness reaches out from the screen."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"One of the best French films of the year."
‑ Harry Guerin, RTE Interactive (Dublin, Ireland)
"This ville is far from tranquille, but the French twist on this emotional powerhouse keeps proceedings meditative as things go into the gutter."
‑ Kurt Dahlke, Apollo Guide
"At two hours, this movie seems to drag on and on as the tragedies pile up. I found myself looking at my watch more than I was looking at the screen. If the town were a little more quiet, I would have taken a nap"
‑ Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, TheMovieChicks.com
"It's a pitiless film, uncompromising in what it shows us."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"La ville est tranquille is not depressing, but a sense of sadness permeates the film. As dramatic as it is, Guediguian's point is well taken: this town will remain quiet."
‑ Marta Barber, Miami Herald
"Strives toward greatness, toward a complete understanding of life in the roiling, unsettled, complex locale they call Marseilles, and its partial success must be applauded."
‑ Saul Austerlitz, Film Threat
"It's got a lot on its plate, and sometimes it overindulges, loses focus and plays too obviously. Still, it manages to remain forceful and moving."
‑ Kim Morgan, Oregonian
"Recommended only if you like it dreary."
‑ , E! Online